my poor rex

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crewcut296, Aug 2, 2011.

1. crewcut296

crewcut296 New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    went on vacation gone 7days(did have someone to let in & out of coop and water when gone)came home my poor roster rex acting kinda drunk I figured its been hot .Then noticed lots of flies and a very dirty bottom.went to clean him off and it was as if he was being eatin alive with maggets.had my husband put him down.very sad day:( indeed any thoughts on what could of been wrong our vet is out and wont be in for another day or two?had him 3 years was older roo when we got him not sure his age. any sugestions Thanks Crewcut296

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your Roo. These things happen sometimes and we never know why. [​IMG]

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    When that happens, you need to wash the maggots off and cover the wound with SWAT from the pet supply. There's a good prognosis even if it looks awful.

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm sorry you lost your rooster [​IMG] RIP Rex.

I'm not sure why the flies did this to your rooster. I know hens with prolapses or even egg binding will sometimes end up with maggots. Perhaps he had a small wound in the area, hidden by the feathers. Sometimes that's all it takes for the flies to start laying eggs. You did the right thing putting him down--maggots can eventually cause infection if they get too deep.

5. crewcut296

crewcut296 New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    talked with the chic vet and he said possible the flies laid the eggs with the heat really bad this year. it has been a chore keeping them down this year. Thanks for the condolences. he is missed .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by