1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My poor rooster, how could I be so dense?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ALDavis, Jan 20, 2016.

1. ALDavis

ALDavis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    I noticed yesterday that my roosters comb had a purple tinge and read up on frostbite treatment. I thought I was doing the right thing. I didn't have Vaseline but I did have lubricating jelly only he looks worse this morning and that's when I noticed it's a water based lubricant. I feel so awful. What's going to happen to my beautiful boy? Is there anything I can do to make it better? I'm worried about him and I'm afraid to put anything on it now but I want to make it right. Please help me

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The affected parts may 'die', dry up and eventually fall off. It will be a cosmetic change only and should cause no major problems in the long run. Some call frost bite 'nature's dubbing'.

3. ALDavis

ALDavis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    Is there anything I can do for him to help him now? What should I do in the future for frostbite treatment? I'm glad he won't have a fatal complication but I hate that my ignorance is causing him any lasting problems. :(

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by