My poor son is sick. Any nurses out there?

I am also an RN but no kids and I don't do pediatrics. A quick check for meningitis is to have them put chin to chest. If they can do it, probably not meningitis. The most important thing with a kid is to keep them from getting dehydrated. Make them take sips even if they throw it up. They will still get some digested. It is a good sign that the temp came down. I would probably wait until am and see how things are. Fevers are always worse at night. I would give your doctor a call or go to a doctor in a box in the morning. You may be dealing with strep throat. Good luck.

Fevers shouldn't be feared and you should let them run without giving tylenol etc...

A fever is the bodies own way of "killing" whats ailing it - if you take away the fever, you give that bad bug the run of the body so to say.
Whatever is IN the child, whatever BUG or virus, the body raises its temp in order to KILL it - its natures way, and works well if left alone.

I never give med's to lower a fever, I always just watch the child, make sure the fever doesn't spike too high too fast by taking temp every 10-15 minutes, and if needed a luke warm bath to help make the child comfortable - drinking lots of liquids - water.

That sounds just like my daughter when she got Scarrlett Fever. Came down with it exactally as your discribing. It's basically a strep throat with a rash, look on his torso and bottom, the rash looks a bit like hives. Simple antibiotics from your Dr. will get rid of it. Takes a good 3 days for the throat to feel better. Good Luck.

Folks, you hardly need me for advice, it seems like all the bases are being covered..
Now...I AM a pediatric nurse, and here's what I'd recommend, though I'm sure it's already being done....

1) check the temp one hour after giving the fever reducer. If it's still not down, or even a little bit down, call the doc at that point. It can take the med up to an hour to work, and they only last about 4-6 hours.
2) Bumps on the back of the throat or unusual redness is a reason to call the doc within 24 hours.
3) Fevers don't become dangerous till they reach above 105 F.
4) Fluids are the most important thing. For a really sore throat, a stash of popcicles is a godsend. (Ice to the sore spot, if you will).
5) Always try to contact your pediatrician before running to the ER for reasons stated above.....

Good luck with your boy...hope he's feeling better today...

Hows the little guy doing today? I hope he is feeling better.
smile.png

Well we went to the dr this morning and the rapid strep came back negative. The dr told us that it was most likely viral. He seems to be a little better today. He is more active and alert. He is keeping down food now. He still has a fever. It is 101.2. If he seems worse at all, I will take him back. There is no rash, although he still says that his head and back and throat hurt. It may seem insignificant but he sure is blowing his nose a lot. Not much there just feels like he has to blow it. Thanks for all your responses! I sure appreciate all the concern. I will keep you posted with further developments.
Kristyne

My son was always prone to high fevers. My doc always said alternate between Tylenol and Motrin. And suppositories work faster than oral meds.
I have to agree with the statement about fevers too. We parents get worried when the kids get one over 100, but it is best to let the body do its work before we get overprotective and over medicate.
That being said, my 14 yr old son is type 1 diabetic for a year now. And him getting a fever scares the daylights out of me. It's a whole different ballgame with a diabetic.
I'm glad to hear that he is doing better.

Well I spoke too soon, we had a downward spiral. His temp spiked again (even after tylenol) to 102.7! I wonder what it would be if it werent for the tylenol. He is nearly hysterical because he feels so bad. He still refuses to sit still, I suppose that is a good sign. I just hope that he gets well soon. I gave him a bath and he cried the whole time that he was freezing. I myself am starting to not feel so hot. I sure hope that whatever it is, the whole family doesnt get it. I figured that I would since I am the clean up crew. I am a fanatic hand washer but evidently that only goes so far. I sure hope that tonight isnt a repeat of lastnight. I think I am not going to give any more tylenol. I want to know how bad this fever really is.
Kristyne

I'm a nurse, but work in geriatrics...so not much help, BUT ... my sister's kids have had something like this several times, it sounds like a form of Hoof and Mouth disease, I think they called it Coxsackie. If it is, it's viral and they will not medicate with antibiotics. Her kids usually ran a raging fever for 3 or 4 days, they'd get better for a couple days, and sometimes the fever would recur.

Does he have a little flat red rash on his palms or the soles of his feet?

I hope he is better soon.
Jess

Thanks for the suggestion. There is no rash on his hands and feet. There is not a rash anywhere. It is so baffeling. Riley has had foot and mouth before 3 times! That was when he was in daycare. He hasnt had it since. I am not giving him any more medicine for the night. I am checking him every few hours to see what his temp is at.
The fun thing is that I am now feeling worse. I have had a temp since lastnight of 99 and a headache that wont go away and now I am feeling tired and achy. Great! I really need to be sick now.
Kristyne

Back
Top Bottom