My poor stressed out flock! And poor stressed out me! My chicken journey..

Yes! She needed some guidance to the nest, but she is laying some big ones! So proud of her! Oddly though, my australorp stopped laying and right when her daughter and the new layer started. Bizarre! They have 3 nests, but I am wondering if privacy may be the issue.

How many chickens and nesting boxes do you have?

how big is their run?
Run is 400 sq. ft. plus just about daily free range.

How many chickens and nesting boxes do you have?
10 hens, 1 rooster. 3 nesting boxes, however there has NEVER been an egg laid in the 3rd box. It's a tad bit bigger than the other two, closest to the roost and maybe more drafty than the others. Those are my guesses why it isn't used. I have tried golf balls and leaving eggs in all 3 to encourage egg laying, but we can never seem to get more than 2 eggs a day since winter hit.

Here is the thread about my coop and expansion:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ting-and-another-for-nesting/20#post_18220343

I only have 8 girls...for now...and I too have 3 boxes....they all use only one.
Silly girls, we try to make things bigger and better for them and they prefer to share.

I only have 8 girls...for now...and I too have 3 boxes....they all use only one.
Silly girls, we try to make things bigger and better for them and they prefer to share.
Haha right?! Some days I think I harass them too much and that's why they aren't laying, Like right now I am trying to train them from sleeping in the nests, and then I forget to take the boards out so they can access them during the day! oy!

Back
Top Bottom