My Poultry Adventure

My Leghorn was acting a little strange today, like it was breathing hard and it's comb was really dark red. I panicked and called a vet that I heard dealt with chickens. I took her there, and all they said was she had an impacted crop. I feed my chickens a mix of cracked corn, sunflower seeds, and layer pellets once in the morning and then they free range the rest of the day, and their crops are full from breakfast all the way until dark because they eat all sorts of things while free ranging, and they always feel the same way.

She also said that I wasn't wise to use pine needles as a bedding, even though I've searched a lot on here and on Google, and everywhere says it is a perfectly good bedding.

I even asked her if she might have CRD, and she said "No, I think she is just in distress from having an impacted crop." Then I asked about her runny nose and she said "That's probably just the fluid in her crop coming up through her nose, since she's impacted." Honestly, I don't think her crop is impacted. It feels like that every day (and all the chickens feel that way), and it's empty in the morning before I feed them anything.

She told me to seclude her and only give her water for 3 days. That seems kind of weird to me.

Back
Top Bottom