My pullet has been on the nest for over an hour

mychickenbrood

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Central Valley CA.
How long should it take a pullet, once she starts sitting on the nest, to lay her first egg? My Spanish White Face, Sparkle, has been sitting for over an hour and her tail moves up and down, but nothing so far. I do not see an egg protruding, and she stays in the nest, even when I come close by. I don't want to disturb her, so have not gotten more than about six feet from the nest.

Thanks.

It's pretty individual, but some can take a long time as pullets. When my Buff Orp was young, she would sit in there for a couple of hours easy. Two years later, and she's still a bit leisurely about it.

My chickens are super SUPER broody, so an hour or more or even a few hours is normal for them. She will be fine :) Make sure to keep the nest box clean so that you don't get bugs. I put ashes and diotomaceous earth and even spray the boxes sometimes.

Thanks. I found a link after I posted under "Time it take to lay an egg," and there was a lot of information there.

She finally laid it, I guess, but it was slightly tinted and is supposed to be white for her breed.

I put sand in the nest boxes. Do I still need to be concerned about bugs?

Back
Top Bottom