My pullet is sick and is doing something weird with her foot.

chicksandhens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Hello I'm hoping someone can help me heal my pullet. I started out with 3 they were all doing good yesterday, but this morning one was dead and another was in the corner of cage not doing anything. The third one is fine and doesn't seem to be displaying any symptoms of being sick. Maggie the one that is sick was almost kinda laying on her side this morning. I pulled her out of the cage that the healthy one is in, and put her in a big tote box with a lamp. I did a little bit of reasearch and found a rickets recipe wich included oats, yogurt, honey boiled egg yolk, and shredded apple. I fed it to both of them. Maggie only tried a little bit, but she did eat a little bit of the regular chicken start we feed them. I noticed her poop was really white and runny. Another thing I noticed is that she's standing with her toes curled under on one feet, and her wings are droopy. Ohh these pullets are about 9 wks old. I haven't noticed if she's dranken any of the water I put in there (its an electrolyte mix). I went to the farm exchange and they suggested I give them Sulmet. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

Aloha, dear. How long have you had these chicks, when did you get them, and are they all from the same place or same hen?

Last edited:
We bought them when they were a few days old, and we've had them ever since. We've had them 9 wks according to our calendar. We did get them all at the same place. I can only asume that they get their chicks from one hatchery. We haven't moved them outside yet, because we've had a really windy spring. I am planning on treating them both I just wanted to make sure that its the right thing to do. She seems like she's perked up a bit, but I don't get why she's standing on her curled up toes. Again thanks for your help.

Mayra

Does her foot seem to be without sensation? Is it flopping awkwardly when she tries to walk?

I can't tell. I took her out of her tote box to clean it out and set her on the floor. She was able to walk around. She tried to climb into the tray that catches the dropping to the other cage, so I grabbed her and set her by back down. I guess I set her down on her side so her feet were not onder her. She didn't try to get up or get of her side until I picked her up and set her on her feet. I also streightened out her toes, but when I looked at ther last she still had one curled under.

Back
Top Bottom