My pullet tried to adopt a robin fledgling....future broody hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EllyMae, Aug 15, 2008.

1. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I was sitting at the computer which faces the back yard and saw something flutter down from the poplar tree(right where my girls were free-ranging) and so my first instinct was "Protect!" so I jumped up and ran outside and found Miss Prissy hovering over a robin fledgling and keeping Miss Bugsy away from it. In the mean time, the robins REAL mom freaking out up in the same tree. I thought at first, "Awww, how cute" then I thought about disease and scrambled to put my girls up in their coop until the fledgling hopped away.
    Soooo, I'm wondering, do you think I have a future broody gal?Since she was sooo motherly already?
    Oh, and by the way, my pullets are already laying nice brown eggs.

2. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Awww....that is a cute story! What a nice hen Miss Prissy is. She could have eaten it :eek: so I think it's a good sign that she tried to mother it.

Have you ever seen the video of the crow that adopted the kitten? That is such a heartwarming video to watch.

3. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Maternal instinct is an amazing thing. That's a sweet story!

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I was afraid my girls were going to hurt the baby bird at first but then my meek and mild Miss Prissy stepped up and kept Miss Bugsy(the alpha girl) from coming near it, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by