My Pvc Chicken Coop Project

Don't forget those little chicks are gonna get big. About attaching the door. Remember I used all PVC. When I say door frame that is what the door hangs on. On the frame(3/4") of the door (about where hinges normally are) I attached three 1" pieces (about six inches long) to the door frame. I did this by drilling a hole straight through the one inch pipe and then drove a screw through that hole into the 3/4" frame post. I did this for all three hinges. I put my door together on three sides, top, bottom, and right hand side, the left side I slide through the hinges and attached it to the top and bottom of the door. Of course the door can open in or out. If you don't want it to slide up and down just tap a screw under a hinge on the door itself and it can't slide. I sure hope this helps. Just make sure when you attach the 1" hinges to the frame make sure your screw goes all the way through the 1" pipe and attaches to the 3/4" frame or your door pipe won't slide through. That is why you drill a hole all the way through the 1" pipe. I drew out some pictures and posted them.

Quote:
57[img]
575_05222010077.jpg[/img]
57575_05222010079.jpg

Are you using the same method that is shown at pvcplans.com for the door?
THANKS!! will take pics tomorrow am...

Suzegg-Thanks for the post and images. That is makes it easier for me to understand. Oh I know they will get bigger! I am only holding these til they are big enough for processing.

I did see those that they had on the pvc website, I did not quite understand it. They were glueing them together. But the ones I made seem to work fine. I did not want to depend on glue to hold the door in case that hot and humid Louisiana sun broke the glue down or something and the door would come off. Anywhos, I read about the snap on pieces they advertised for attaching tarp or other material to pvc, and that seemed expensive. So I made my own out of the light 3/4 inch pvc pipe by taking pieces about 5 or 6 " in length and sawing them almost down the middle. The light pvc is more flexible and with a little pressure snapped the shade cloth right to the pvc pipe. My favorite tool was the pvc tool used to cut the pipe. No sawing.
Quote:

this is SOOOO cool! I just posted pics on my BYC page of my coop made from a Rubbermaid shed (needs to be warm enough for Kansas winters), and haven't figured out yet how to give the chickens some extra protected area to range in. This looks very promising! And I love all the info you posted about how you built it!

Quote:
What's this, & where'd you get it?

THANKS for your GREAT ideas!

tHANK YOU VERY MUCH, GLAD TO HELP OUT. I JUST UPDATED MY PAGE WITH LOTS OF PICTURES TOO. GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS.
Quote:
What's this, & where'd you get it?

THANKS for your GREAT ideas!

Back
Top Bottom