My quail has a runny nose

Soaker

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2020
I'm not sure what it is, but one of my quails has this clear white liquid rolling down her beak occasionally, I'm assuming it's mucus from her nose? And her nose seems to be a little red as well....she doesn't seem tired or anything, moves around check things out normally, but drinks a lot of water, at least more than the other quails. Sometimes she shakes her head in a weird way, I'm assuming that's a sneeze? What do I do?thanks in advance

Shaking her head is probably her trying to clear out the mucus. She is sick, but with what or how severely can't be guessed with that alone. It's good that she's still eating and acting normally. She should be kept warm and dry and watched closely for other symptoms such as diarrhea or changes in behavior. You may also want to consider separating her in case it's contagious, though it doesn't sound serious so far. You could try mixing in some dry marjoram or Italian seasoning spices into her food (or offer fresh herbs if you have that luxury). They are supposed to help with congestion and respiratory infections. But I think for now the main thing is to make sure she's warm, dry, eating, drinking, and monitor for other symptoms. Good luck!

Shaking her head is probably her trying to clear out the mucus. She is sick, but with what or how severely can't be guessed with that alone. It's good that she's still eating and acting normally. She should be kept warm and dry and watched closely for other symptoms such as diarrhea or changes in behavior. You may also want to consider separating her in case it's contagious, though it doesn't sound serious so far. You could try mixing in some dry marjoram or Italian seasoning spices into her food (or offer fresh herbs if you have that luxury). They are supposed to help with congestion and respiratory infections. But I think for now the main thing is to make sure she's warm, dry, eating, drinking, and monitor for other symptoms. Good luck!
So do I need to separate her from the other quail she is with? Wont she be lonely, they are social birds🤣? Does mint leaves work? I have some growing. Thanks for answering

Separate her unless you want the rest of your birds to get whatever she has. Watch her closely, make sure she's warm and has plenty of food and water. Watch the rest of your covey for symptoms.

Is a vet an option?

Update:
I gave her some green peas, lettuce and now she has diarrhea. I don't know if she was going to get diarrhea originally or the veges gave her that. She lives inside. and a vet is not really an option, what can I do myself for her to get better?

Sounds like a respiratory infection. I would seperate and try giving either Batril or Tylan 50. If neither is available then I would try Erythromycin or Duramycin, both can be found at your local feed store or a TSC.

Sounds like a respiratory infection. I would seperate and try giving either Batril or Tylan 50. If neither is available then I would try Erythromycin or Duramycin, both can be found at your local feed store or a TSC.
do you know what could have cause it? why don't the other quails have it?

Back
Top Bottom