My quail has been limping for a while and i know the cause. Its either a flight injury or it was because he got attacked by this one cat. please help.

The joint looks infected. Possibly from him laying down so much.
You may be able to treat it at home, but if you have vet care, that would be best.

I would give him an antibiotic. Cephalexin would be one of the best choices since this is at the joint, but you could use Amoxicillin.
Clean the wound with Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) and apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment. Wrap with vet wrap to help keep it clean. Repeat daily. Keep him on clean dry bedding.
If the joint is damaged from infection and laying down a lot, he may not regain function.
Quality of life and how well he's doing should be accessed daily too.

You may be able to treat it at home, but if you have vet care, that would be best.

I would give him an antibiotic. Cephalexin would be one of the best choices since this is at the joint, but you could use Amoxicillin.
Clean the wound with Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) and apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment. Wrap with vet wrap to help keep it clean. Repeat daily. Keep him on clean dry bedding.
If the joint is damaged from infection and laying down a lot, he may not regain function.
I’d try vet care but how much would that really cost?

By the way for the wound cleaning can I use alcohol prep pads?

By the way for the wound cleaning can I use alcohol prep pads?

No, I would not use alcohol. You can find Hibiclens at Walmart or CVS.

Antibiotics would need to be ordered online.
https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/amoxicillin-fish-antibiotics
https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/cephalexin-keflex-fish-antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom