My quail hurt its leg, again

Ocean Flare

Songster
Jan 29, 2021
Florida, United States
I feel so bad a out this. I only ever most a thread when my birds are hurt, and they seem to have a thing about hurting their legs. My oldest, and my only male hurt his leg now.
He's hopping around but otherwise he's acting normal. He keeps laying down and using his wing to balance himself, and I think he may have accidentally gotten his leg caught in some bars yesterday when I was cleaning out his enclosure.
It seems a little swollen maybe but he still balances himself on it if he is standing still sometimes. I can't tell if it's his foot or his leg though.

The picture I tried to get of the back of his leg was the hardest thing ever, and he's comepletely tame lol

Attachments

• 20220313_142350.jpg
    20220313_142350.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220313_144306.jpg
    20220313_144306.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 5
There's something more. I'm not sure if this is separate but I don't think it is. I just got home late and he was on his side, so I touched him to see if he was all right since he was shaking, and he was very disoriented and unbalanced. He was shaking and trying to move but couldn't, he could barely try to drag himself. He would just roll when I tried to stand him up. Then he was suddenly fine except he was still shaking a little, and is a little freaked out. He is panting a bit and is only interested in staying around a hen, even when I gave him more food.
I was told it happened once before a long time ago with him, and I didn't remember it, so I'm assuming he's fine and maybe he got spooked or something?

Last edited:
This doesn't sound good. It's possible he hit his head after getting startled, but you want to keep a close eye on him, especially if it's happened before.

You may have answered this in another thread, but what are you feeding him?

I've always fed him Manna Pro Gamebird Showbird Starter Grower.
Feed looks good to me.

I have a quail like this who's always been a bit funny and have had to spend a lot of time helping her out. I would've culled her but she's an exceptional layer. Using vitamin drops in her water seems to really help her when she has hurt herself in the past.

She's also shown this shaking behaviour a couple of times and I believe it was because other birds weren't allowing her to feed properly or from hitting her head. Low roofs are best with quail for sure.

She's my oldest quail and has a slight limp on the best of days but she's my favourite and lays good eggs (not for hatching just eating), but she does reside in a cage alone, next to her friends.

Back
Top Bottom