My quail is wobbling and walking

Robind15

Chirping
Jul 20, 2021
Central Florida
Please help! Does my adult quail have Splayed legs? It wobbles when it walks and maybe falls over. It eats drinks and gets around ok. I just don’t want it to be in pain. If it is treatable I want to asap.

Attachments

• 27CAB46C-13B8-43EB-9F8B-DB14FC26D5CA.jpeg
    27CAB46C-13B8-43EB-9F8B-DB14FC26D5CA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
Purina Game bird 30% protein feed. 11 birds. No none. Mind you this one is one of the smaller ones. Her feet are stand wider than the other quail.
You might try giving it some Nutri-Drench or Save-A-Chick to see if there's a nutrition deficiency in this one bird, but I suspect that there's something wrong with it either from genetics or it didn't develop right in the egg.

I would watch and see. It may improve, it may pass away. The other option would be a vet, but that isn't an option for most people, I know.

You might try giving it some Nutri-Drench or Save-A-Chick to see if there's a nutrition deficiency in this one bird, but I suspect that there's something wrong with it either from genetics or it didn't develop right in the egg.

I would watch and see. It may improve, it may pass away. The other option would be a vet, but that isn't an option for most people, I know.
Could it be Marek’s Disease? I heard quail can get that.

Quail can get Marek's. What does the poop look like? I've never had Marek's in my birds, but I've read that symptoms included weakness, paleness, feed refusal, diarrhoea, and blindness. An infected bird may show some but not all of these symptoms, though.

If you suspect disease, separate it immediately. I would suggest getting it tested by a vet.

Quail can get Marek's. What does the poop look like? I've never had Marek's in my birds, but I've read that symptoms included weakness, paleness, feed refusal, diarrhoea, and blindness. An infected bird may show some but not all of these symptoms, though.

If you suspect disease, separate it immediately. I would suggest getting it tested by a vet.
The site I read that from says

“Marek’s disease can cause quails to act drunk in the early stages before total paralysis sets in. The quail will try to stand up on its feet and might weave from side to side or eventually fall.”

It’s something with its legs. It’s legs stand wider than the others while walking and standing. It eats drinks and poops fine. I just don’t want it to be in pain if it is.

They are on pine shavings. None of the rest seem to be having problems. Eating drinking moving fine.

To be safe, you should separate her from the others immediately. This will not only protect your other birds in case there is disease, it will also allow you to observe her more closely. You'll be able to see how much she's eating, what her poop looks like, and see any improvement or deterioration in her condition.

Back
Top Bottom