My rabbit has diarheea and is lethargic what can I do?

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
My female 2 yr. old rabbit got sick and has been lethargic since early this morning. She has diarrhea but she did drink some water today. The vets are all closed right now. Is there anything I can do for her? Should I give her some keopectate? Is there anything special I can feed her?

to keep her hydrated if u have to syringe it but if she will drink it let her do it herself. try giveing about every hour or so.
Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT) solution.
use as follows:

1 cup clean water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/16 teaspoon salt (take some out of a 1/4 tsp. or use a rounded 1/8 tsp.)

to stop the diarrhea i use albon (it is for dogs and cats) and hay. diarrhea can kill a rabbit within 24 hours so u have to act fast soon as u see signs. Then, once she starts to have more energy, mix banana, some mushed rabbit pellets (food) and some soft rice(cooked) together with a bit of water and feed her a tiny bit of that every hour. It takes a while and they only eat a teeny tiny bit, but at least they're eating which makes them feel better till they can get back to eating dry pellets again. Rice and bananas are very good for this as rice dries up the diarrhea and banana adds potassium, which animals need when they're sick as they lose potassium through watery feces so this will help also if u can't get ahold of albon.

good luck and keep us posted hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom