My rabbit has stopped drinking from his water bottle! Help!

My rabbits did not do well in the heat. I installed fans on either side of the row of hutches to help keep them cool. Before I did that, there were two who quit eating and drinking. There is also some sort of sickness that affects their stomachs and they dont eat or drink anymore because they are unable to eliminate waste. It is treatable if caught soon enough.

That's horrible, I am so sorry! My bunny is eating just fine and, believe me, pooping just fine. He seems to be drinking water from the dish now and he is happy and active. I will be keeping an eye on him in the warmest months. Luckily, we have a shady backyard and he is close to the house!

Round and romaine lettuce is fine. Obviously not the healthiest veggie but it isn't dangerous as long as the rabbit is used to it. Always introduce new food extremely slowly for rabbits, thats why rabbits get sick sometimes. Not from the lettuce itself but from not being used to it. They have extremely delicate digestive tracts. Some rabbits can't tolerate veggies very well though. Especially veggies high in sugar. This is why many give herbs instead. Herbs are one of the healthiest foods for rabbits. Many people give a variety of herbs and hay/grass and thats it, other than water of course. Although, I would recommend still giving half a hand full of pellets a day, but thats just me.

For anyone interested, there's also some good veggie feeding info at this link: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

OP, how's your bun? And good for you...you're wise to monitor the intake. Some crocks are marked with cup lines, otherwise you can always mark it yourself. Most rabbits will consume more water from a crock so that's a good thing. I prefer crocks for that reason although I use mostly bottles for my own convenience.

smile.png
You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom