My Rabbit Journey~New Pics pg 17

Quote:
I would say given you haven't developed your line at all I would bank on 3 pounds to start.

edit again: I just called a buddy of mine who's been raising meat rabbits for the last 25 years. He said 80-85% is more reliable.

Last edited:
Thanks
smile.png
I sure haven't developed anything yet, still waiting to find out if my frist breeding took or not
tongue.png
I have one NZ white right now...but she is skinny but huge. I have been trying to get some weight on her and she's just starting to feel a bit better. I have considered culling her already.l

I'm in Western Washington State. And thank you I apprecaite the help! My Champagne and my Satin are both solid and meaty. Though I don't know how much they weigh and my Satin is really small.

Wow. Thanks for all the info. I had heard that you could inbreed them (from Storey's book).
We just slaughtered our first chicken on Sunday and it was not easy....I guess it takes practice.
The breeder we got our rabbits from showed us how to slaughter a rabbit. I must say he made it look very easy, especially because he merely had to peel off the pelt which came off like a glove! Hmmmm.....do I really want to pluck another chicken?

Last edited:
I've plucked many chickens and turkeys. It's a pain in the butt, really! However, I think rabbits are going to be easier, I still want variety in my meals so I wouldn't consider my rabbit meat to completely replace other meats. In short, yes it's worth the plucking -- just not as often as skinning a rabbit
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom