My rabbit Stoney

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crow-ded house, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    We got a blue dutch doe from a neighbor that lived in a hutch. We made an annex to our coop with the chickens and they get along. We are building a new coop and for her area we are finally giving her a run in their run. Will she adapt to finally choosing her own grass and the outside life or should we put her in and out til she gets the idea?

2. Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Tale of Tails Rabbitry Chirping

Feb 9, 2018
    At first I was trying to get past that your neighbor was living in a hutch! :lol:

I have no doubt she will adapt. My concern is you already have had her on the ground with the chickens, which may not be a problem as to them getting along, but it could have exposed her to parasites and coccidiosis among other things. I think rabbits on the ground tend to require far more health care.

3. GracieJ

GracieJ Songster

Feb 16, 2018
    Wales, UK
    She will adapt fine and will love being free(ish) to eat grass etc. If she gets along with the chickens that's great too but personally, I wouldn't put her with them as I'd be worried about a change in behaviour from either sides and animals can be unpredictable. x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: