My rabbits had babies… what now?

Pics
First thing you should do is separate them. The buck is liable to kill the babies. So long has she had them in some type of box and pulled hair for them they should be fine so long as they are out of the wind and elements.
I have no idea what one is the buck. They dug a tunnel. The babies are a couple weeks old. The only reason I know about them is because they started coming out of the den.

The doe is likey already pregnant again. Bucks find does give birth attractive for some reason, and does can get pregnant right after birth.
Sex them and immediately separate them
https://www.raising-rabbits.com/sexing-rabbits.html

I'm sure it's quite cold where you are, so I would bring the mom and babies indoors. She'll only feed them twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening). Which means you can separate them now, even before sexing.
Leave the mom and babies alone after sexing the parents and checking checking be sure the babies are healthy. They should have full and plump bellies.

You can feed unlimited Alfalfa hay and pellets for the mom, and the babies will start to eat it when they're older.

I would go ahead and schedule an appointment to get the male neutered.

What type of enclosure are they in?

The doe is likey already pregnant again. Bucks find does give birth attractive for some reason, and does can get pregnant right after birth.
Sex them and immediately separate them
https://www.raising-rabbits.com/sexing-rabbits.html

I'm sure it's quite cold where you are, so I would bring the mom and babies indoors. She'll only feed them twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening). Which means you can separate them now, even before sexing.
Leave the mom and babies alone after sexing the parents and checking checking be sure the babies are healthy. They should have full and plump bellies.

You can feed unlimited Alfalfa hay and pellets for the mom, and the babies will start to eat it when they're older.

I would go ahead and schedule an appointment to get the male neutered.

What type of enclosure are they in?
That's a good link. On young rabbits round = bucks, slit = does. Should be unmistakable on your two old one though.

My vet got the sex wrong, and the person I got them from, I’m sure I’ll get it wrong too. But I will get the male fixed. As soon as I find out which it is. I think I have an idea which one is which. There’s an all black one that the babies hang out around more. That one is more likely the female right?

This is their enclosure. The hole/ den they dug is between the hutch and the heavy blanket. As far as I can see there’s only two babies.
111D08C6-7E53-4BFD-879E-2B2EF189AAF0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom