My RGP's don't realize it's too early to be giving me eggs! :)

6littlechickies

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Burton, OH
We have a total of 5 Red Golden Pheasants, two males and three ladies. All were purchased last fall so this is our first 'season' with them laying. I haven't been able to find very much info on the incubation of the eggs so I thought I'd post a topic to help any others out there that might have RGP's too.

We started getting eggs in late January, I'm pretty sure their cycle is off b/c of the light we put in the chicken pen (on the other side of the barn). Anyhow, I hatched out four in mid February, one died a couple days after hatching, two were the victims of our now banished cat and I have one left that's a couple weeks old.

I hatched another two over this past weekend, have three more in the incubator on lockdown and another 6 more in another bator that are between 6 and 10 days in. I usually save them up for a few days and put them all in at once but it's been nuts around my house and if i didn't put them right in i would forget so I just went with it.

I have them in an LG with a turner and have been keeping the temps right around 100, it has went up to 102 and low as 99. The humidity I try to keep in the 50% range for the first 19 days and then have found right around 65% at lockdown gives the best results. For lockdown, i move them to a hovabator with a clear top, mostly so I can get a better view!
wink.png
I had initially read they needed a higher humidity but noticed that keeping it around 60-65% when i lockdown seems to be working better. they were taking a lot longer to zip around when the humidity was higher than 65 so i tried lowering a bit and that seems to be the ticket, as least for mine!
smile.png

The three eggs I currently have in lockdown are on day 22, day 20 and day 19. They have been pipping on day 22 or 23 and hatching about a day later.

Anyone else out there getting any RGP eggs yet? Any others more experienced with hatching them?

the egg from 2/15 pipped late last night!
wee.gif

I took a couple pics of the pip. You can see it towards the bottom of the pic. pay no mind to the piece of shell sitting there, remnants of the last hatch.
31148_dsc_0325.jpg

31148_dsc_0326.jpg

I also snapped a couple shots of the ones that hatched last week.
31148_dsc_0323.jpg

31148_dsc_0324.jpg

this is the one that hatched in mid Feb., taken yesterday and then one from the day it hatched.
31148_mar10_002.jpg

31148_mar10_005.jpg

more pics to follow as hatching begins!
smile.png

well, the pipped egg has decided it's time to zip itself out! I checked on it a little while ago and found this:

31148_dsc_0327.jpg

Hopefully, I'll come back from lunch to find a little fuzzy butt!
smile.png

Well, i'll be darned, little bugger hatched while I was posting the last update!

Here are the first couple pics...little one hasn't even fluffed out yet!
31148_dsc_0329.jpg

31148_dsc_0330.jpg

I think the egg from 2/17 has pipped too. Not positive as I guess it could be a reminant from the one that just hatched but I think this is another pip!

31148_dsc_0331.jpg

the egg laid on 2/17 pipped this morning!
smile.png
Sadly, one of our other two that hatched last week died last night. I believe it to be an undiagnosed pasty butt. couldn't even see an issue until it was too late!
sad.png

I will be out and about most of the day today but hope to be able to report another hatching later tonight!

Congrats this is defintly a day for hatching.. I have had 6 buttons hatch since 2:30 this morning.. and had my order come in from Ideal today ( a full week early) ...

coop, you need to post me some pics! what did you order from Ideal?

Oh me oh my! they are both now zipping!
smile.png

I was a little worried about the first egg b/c it wasn't making a lot of progress as of early this morning AND the humidity was down to 45%! OH NO! We put in some more water and i just checked them a minute ago. Another OH NO, the temp is now showing 104!!! GOOD GRIEF! good thing is humidity went up to 65% and now BOTH are very quickly zipping around. I turned the temp down and am hoping the temp will drop soon b/c being that high right now scares the jeepers out of me!
barnie.gif

here are pics of them now, zipping right along. keeping a close eye on that temp and as soon as they pop I'm going to open the top to release some heat.
egg from 2/17 (egg#1)
31148_dsc_0377.jpg

egg from 2/18 9egg #2)
31148_dsc_0376.jpg

I also have (I think) two more that are ready to go into lockdown today, so it's a busy week coming up. There are still 7 in the other bator working their way towards hatch.

gosh, I didn't realize a pheasant could hatch so quickly! LOL egg #2 just hatched while i was posted my last update.

here is a fist pic:
31148_dsc_0383.jpg

egg#1 is still working away and the temp is now down to 102.5 so i'm feeling a little better now.
31148_dsc_0386.jpg

Back
Top Bottom