My roo Aragorn

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I’m wondering what you would call the color of my Aragorn. As a chick he looked like all the other rosettas. His legs are black until the ankles and his feet are pink. Here he is a few weeks ago front right:
38781E62-1181-401F-83D2-0B667AA03524.jpeg
He always had some lacing which seems normal for rosettas, then maybe 3 weeks ago (probably at 9-10 weeks old) started getting wild pattern markings, you see here in an older photo how it’s starting.
He also, at around the same time, grew one orange feather on his chest:
322D4927-E778-492F-A6F5-D1A7D3C9C5F9.jpeg

not the best pic but you can see it in the bottom left of his chest.

now he is full on wild patterned but dark:
08B270CF-1DE6-4E5E-9021-C166BA53DE81.jpeg

He was born on Mother’s Day, I think he’s about 13 weeks give or take. He had classic Tibetan style eyebrows and a reddish head like all of the other, he’s the only one who looks like this.

I’m wondering what you would call the color of my Aragorn. As a chick he looked like all the other rosettas. His legs are black until the ankles and his feet are pink. Here he is a few weeks ago front right:
View attachment 2277511He always had some lacing which seems normal for rosettas, then maybe 3 weeks ago (probably at 9-10 weeks old) started getting wild pattern markings, you see here in an older photo how it’s starting.
He also, at around the same time, grew one orange feather on his chest:
View attachment 2277515
not the best pic but you can see it in the bottom left of his chest.

now he is full on wild patterned but dark:
View attachment 2277523
He was born on Mother’s Day, I think he’s about 13 weeks give or take. He had classic Tibetan style eyebrows and a reddish head like all of the other, he’s the only one who looks like this.
I don't know what they're called, but I call them 'messy tuxedos' because they have more brown/black feathers than the regular tuxedos.
@muddy75

I think maybe a messy tux too? A full tuxedo is a perfect combo of multiple genes and a messy tux is just adorbs. XD

20200723_092348.jpg

20200723_093807.jpg

Scrappy has two secret patches of white hidden under his regular plumage, but other than that, looks mostly normal.

he’s a messy tux, but I feel like tux means the pattern, like I have full tuxes with only color on the back and head, and I have a whole slew of messy tuxes, ranging from one spot to a good portion white. But the color and pattern are separate genes like scrappy would be a messy pharaoh tux. I have a pharoah tux and several Tibetan and Rosetta tuxes and dirty tuxes, but Aragorn is like a Rosetta color with wild pattern markings. He’s definitely a mutt, and came from eBay eggs so I’m sure he’s a crazy mix of a bit of everything, I was curious if there’s a name for Rosetta color with Wild markings. If he wasn’t a tux, he would have an orange chest which would look really nice I think.

I love Scrappy btw, can’t believe how old he is, he looks like a young bird still. Most old birds I’ve seen photos of look like they have 1 foot in the grave. He looks amazing.

For an old boi, he is still acting as if he is in his prime. :p
20200805_112956.jpg

Other than some weathering on his feathers, he could probably keep up with the younger males with ease. XD
20200805_204343.jpg

Still all wide-eyed and bushy tailed.

he’s a messy tux, but I feel like tux means the pattern, like I have full tuxes with only color on the back and head, and I have a whole slew of messy tuxes, ranging from one spot to a good portion white. But the color and pattern are separate genes like scrappy would be a messy pharaoh tux. I have a pharoah tux and several Tibetan and Rosetta tuxes and dirty tuxes, but Aragorn is like a Rosetta color with wild pattern markings. He’s definitely a mutt, and came from eBay eggs so I’m sure he’s a crazy mix of a bit of everything, I was curious if there’s a name for Rosetta color with Wild markings. If he wasn’t a tux, he would have an orange chest which would look really nice I think.

I love Scrappy btw, can’t believe how old he is, he looks like a young bird still. Most old birds I’ve seen photos of look like they have 1 foot in the grave. He looks amazing.

Would be interesting to see what his offsprings look like. Do you want to breed with him?

Would be interesting to see what his offsprings look like. Do you want to breed with him?
I plan to. I have 3 Roos, I just hatched 10 from my red, next is my pharaoh tux, then Aragorn. I have 1 hen in the general population who lays smoothe differently colored eggs (slightly). I hatched 2 from her this past time with whoever she chose in the pen to mate with and 1 is the darkest bird I have, very Tibetan looking, and one is a pharaoh tux, so I speculate Aragorn and Tiger Millionaire each fathered one, and the hen is a dark Rosetta. I narrowed it down to 3 hens by rotating them out of the main enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom