My Roo (Brewster) seems depressed is this common?

kids chicks 6

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 11, 2012
We have recently lost all of our hens in about a 7 month period due to a hawk, and a skunk. We had 8 hens before tragedy hit, with 6 Rhode Island Red hens that were 3yrs old, and 2 White Leghorn hens that were 2yrs old. Even though we introduced new birds the older birds put them in there place from day one, and there was never really any problem sorting out the peck order, and of course our Roo( Brewster) was just as happy with 6 hens or 8 hens. Last spring one of the 2 yr old Leghorn hens started sitting on a huge pile of eggs from which all the girls donated to the cause. After 21 days or so we had 4 new members to add to the flock, 2 hens and 2 roo's. It was very shortly after the hatch that we started the down hill spiral, first loosing one of our Leghorn's hens, and then loosing the 2nd Leghorn hen a week later or so.(cause unknown). As the 2 new roo's got a little older they tried Brewster, but were put into place instantly. It was over the course of this past winter that we slowly lost the rest of out hens. Now up until the last hen was gone Brewster would still defend his place in the peck order, but the day that last hen was gone it was like he gave up. He started letting the other 2 young roo's basically beat him up. He hardly even fought back, and since I have isolated him from the evil brothers. He just lays, and stands around hunched over with his head hung low. He is eating, but not nearly what he used to eat. So is this a common problem with Roo's or is there something I'm not seeing, such as illness or disease. I am not seeing any signs of illness or disease, and the 2 young roo's are wide open all day with no signs of anything except hatefulness. Please share your thoughts and remedies on Brewster the Rooster's ailment.

Thanks in advance,

Chad Douglas,
Hillsville, VA

So basically, you had a top rooster with his flock of girls and now there are no girls for him and since the other boys started picking on him, he is now completly isolated. Get that poor lonely boy some new girlfriends.

So basically, you had a top rooster with his flock of girls and now there are no girls for him and since the other boys started picking on him, he is now completly isolated. Get that poor lonely boy some new girlfriends.
I would love to get him some new girls, but I waited to long and missed out on our local southern states and tractor supply chicks. A friend of mine mentioned Murry Mcmurry, but all I see there rite now are males. Anywhere else selling females this time of year???

Try checking craigslist in the local farm and garden section, you could even post a hens wanted ad. Ask at your local feed store if they know anyone with a few too many hens. Also check on facebook for local farm and garden group pages. There are lots of places to find adult hens, you just have to think beyond the usual sources.

Thanks junebug. I did check on craigs list but didn't think about adult hens. I'v only been asking around for chicks.

He needs grown up girls that are ready for a rooster, not chicks that need to grow up. If you put chicks in with an adult roo and there are no adult hens for him, he will try to breed those little ones. He could seriously harm them. It would be best to find adult hens for him.

Back
Top Bottom