My roo chick smells like fish!

The stink was there before his feathers grew in on his head, but maybe I can wash the stink off. What can I use to wash his head without worrying about it being so close to eyes and nostrils? (Though I honestly don't think washing him is going to help him
hmm.png
).

ETA: If it is the food, how do I get rid of the smell? And, why does his head stink only? He smells like he stuck his head in a gutted fish (which by the way, he has not had access to because our recent fishing trips have been unsuccessful!
gig.gif
barnie.gif
Before I get into trouble... I'd never give the chickens raw fish).

Last edited:
One of my roos smells like fish!
sickbyc.gif
He is 7 wks old and has stunk since the day we got him (2-3 days old). It is only his head.e acts fine and he is the only one of 55 chicks that we have that smells like this. Has anyone had experience with this? What causes it (or might cause it)? What can I do to make him smell better? I pick him up and immediately get reminded of his nasty fish head.
sickbyc.gif

Having this exact same problem! Stinky fishy chick. She is 6 weeks old but has smelled that way since we got her a few weeks ago. Seems totally healthy and happy, just stiiiiiiinky as. None of the others smell this way. Same pen, same food.

Any insights??

I'd like to know too, doesn't look like they came to any conclusions(tho I didn't read the whole thread) and @BarkerChickens hasn't been around for a few years.

@BarkerChickens was so kind enough to reply to a private message I sent and says that the rooster “was that way until he passed. It never affected him, so it wasn't a health issue”. Sounds like no cause for concern fortunately, but it does leave a strange mystery unsolved!

I realize this is an old thread...but I have the same issue with one of mine! Any further insight?
I just read a similar post on Facebooks BYC .The lady has a new rooster she got from someone down the street.Its a Ayam Cemanis (not a purebred)Hers breath stinks not its head but she says its not sour crop.

My top hen Whitetail smells like fish around her head but is the only one in my flock who does and is otherwise perfectly healthy. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has ever encountered this!

I’m so glad im not the only one….. but this is such a weird thing. Got an 8week chick who, just like the rest of yall, has a fish smelly head, but otherwise normal.
I gotta figure this out lol

According to this article the "fishy, decaying smell is caused by trimethylamine (or TMA) a common byproduct of normal digestion.. caused by the fermentation of choline in a chicken’s gut (I suspect feeding them fermented feed would make it worse if your chickens experience this)The next step of digestion is when the very stinky TMA is processed into the safe and odor-free trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO)"Unfortunately the stinky fish smell down to the eggs. https://backyardhomesteadhq.com/why-your-chicken-eggs-smell-fishy-and-what-to-do/

I’m so glad im not the only one….. but this is such a weird thing. Got an 8week chick who, just like the rest of yall, has a fish smelly head, but otherwise normal.
I gotta figure this out lol
I've never experienced this problem myself but I'd think giving the flock probiotics would help eliminate the smell if any of your chicks or chickens give off a bad odor like rotten fish around their head.You'd only smell it around their head

Back
Top Bottom