My roo died. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by memiller123, Aug 20, 2011.

1. memiller123

memiller123 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    My 6 month old BO roo just laid down in the yard today and died. No sign of injury. No symptoms of any disease. All the other chickens are fine. He had been eating, crowing, mating, and had lots of energy just an hour or so before. Has access to plenty of shelter from the heat, water, and food. He didn't even flop. He laid down on his belly and just died; his feathers were all in perfect place.

Have you ever had a chicken just up and die for no apparent reason? I guess that's possible, but it's still puzzling.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Happens quite often with roosters. They lead a high stress life so their hearts often just quit on them, especially in hot weather.

3. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    sometimes the genetic make up of a chicken can go all wrong and heat can cause there hearts to give in if there is some sort of malfonction my bo hen did this only it was when she went to roost.

4. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    sorry for your loss.....

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    thats so sad... im sorry

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wanted to add that it is even more common with the big roosters like the Orps. My friend Ellie in California had the exact same thing happen with her six month old Buff Orp cockerel. Dropped dead suddenly, no reason, just gone.

7. memiller123

memiller123 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I guess his heart just gave out. Poor feller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by