My roo finally crowed

Portia

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
South Central PA
Yes, finally, he's 13 weeks. Sir Feisty roo has come of age!
I know, not a baby chick but I've read so many postings about early crowers that I thought I'd add my roos delayed vocal abilities. Up until yesterday all he did was peep like a little chick (the hens have been clucking for weeks now). I guess he just needed a kick in the pants which came at 6 AM this morning when the compressor my DH left plugged in went on & the whole family woke with a start...apparently including the chickens. One little crow from the coop, but when I opened their pop door he came strutting to the front and had a hissy fit when 2 of the hens squeezed past him and ran into the yard. He flew down and sumarily pecked both their heads then let out a crow. ALL of the hens on the stoop waiting to come down ran back into the coop & the 2 that were out headed for the little hiding shelter I built them under the deck. He crowed 2-3 more times, then went about his business of looking for breakfast. In a few minutes the girls timidly peeked out of the coop, then came pouring out to join him (including the 2 that came running from under the deck). I guess I officially have a roo (we knew that by his appearance, but he has only begun to actually act like a roo and look out for his ladies).
Now we need to monitor him so he doesn't tick off the neighbors...can't bribe em with eggs just yet. But still, my girls have a roo! BTW I'm much more excited about this than my DH.

Thats funny,
Was it a full fledged crow or cracking like a teen who's voice is changing?
tongue.png

lau.gif
That's funny! My roo is 10 wks. old now and yesterday he let out the most awful sound! It took me a few minutes to realize that he was working on crowing. Maybe he will have it mastered like yours does at 13 wks! Doesn't it just make you so proud of them?!?!

Mine is a little over 3 weeks and we are still waiting. I had a dream this morning that he crowed.
big_smile.png
If I am dreaming about them I am thinking maybe they are consuming my life a bit more than I think.
wink.png

oh they can consume your life all right; but it's all good.
His crow wasn't half bad, at least no breaking, but he only managed the first syllable each time. I guess the rest will come as he figures it out or has need to vocalize. I think the funniest thing was his strutting. He has been a very demure cockerl, not differentiating himself much from the ladies until late. I think he's coming into his own. I'm so proud of him :aww

I just wanted to pop back in on this thread and say my little roo crowed finally. He did on Monday morning. I was laying in bed and I heard this awful sound. I listened and heard it again. I honestly thought that one of my chicks was in pain and dying. It was a horrible sound. Then it dawned on me. I checked and there was Bingo proud as can be, standing on his feed bowl with all the other chicks looking at him.
wink.png

That's funny. I'm waiting for one of my two roos to start. So far Zeus is making a strange little noise that I guess you might call a pre-crow, but to me it sounds like one of those little party favor horns.
tongue.png

Oh my gosh!!! I was reading this thread and thought how cute! I went outside to watch my babies gather for the coop and my baby roo did it!! It sounded like Peter Brady and my dd and I just laughed and cheered him on... he did it 5 times cause the girls were not listening and then he went behind one of them and gave a head butt in the side and she went in. He stood so tall and proud! I just can't get over the fact that I read about it and went outside and it happened!
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

gig.gif
lau.gif
I can just imagine how cute they must sound. Made me smile reading this thread.

Mine are not even 2 weeks old and I can't wait to identify the roos and then to hear them crowing! I ordered 2 roos - and they sent me 2 extra chicks, which I'm sure are roos as well - but just my luck I won't have any! So I'm anxious to finally be able to identify any roos.

Too cute!

Penny

clap.gif
isn't it great! i'm happy for all the proud parents here!
Since his initial debut, my roo has not let out even the slightest peep of a crow. I guess he has nothing to crow about? He must feel very safe or is terribly hen pecked by the girls
hu.gif
Still, he struts around the yard full of self importance. I guess some day he'll crow again and then my DH will actually hear it....I think he might not believe me b/c Sir Feisty has not crowed since. Ah well. I image all those who have very vocal roosters would be thinking
duc.gif
right now.

Here's a pic of my quiet boy
IMGP5181.jpg

Back
Top Bottom