My roo is suddenly acting neurologic

krebolo125

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Hello
I have a one and a half year old Wyandotte who to my knowledge is healthy or has been up until today. At dinner time I noticed be was dropping a wing and seemed to be limping. I examined him and there were no noticeable injuries and he had a lot of strength in his legs. Both wings flapped normally but when I put him down he could just about walk with out falling over. He was stumbling around like he was drunk and with a droopy wing??

I free range during the day and lock up at night. He was dewwormed in the winter. He does have feather mites or feather lice but you would never know it he looks beautiful. Could that have anything to do with his odd behavior??

I don't know about his neurologic behavior, but mites/lice can kill chickens so it is best to keep them bug free.

Poultry dust from the feed store- shake it in the coop and toss all bedding/nesting material. Put it in a tied-off sock and dust under wings, vent area, everywhere but the face. Repeat everything including coop in 7 days, and again at 14 days if you are also dealing with lice (longer life cycle on the lice).

That should kill the bugs. Permethrin poultry dust.

Ok thank you I will try it. What I find strange is how come none of my hens have the lice? Why would that be?

Ok thank you I will try it. What I find strange is how come none of my hens have the lice? Why would that be?
I have only dealt with mites, not lice, but I have read plenty of posts on BYC stating that it was only the sick one who is infested with lice.

However, if you can, I would treat everyone, as it was enough to send me into tears having mites crawling over me...I know it is awful for them too (some crawled on me when my chickens had them).

With mites they get on all the chickens from what I have found.

Last edited:
Can you post videos here? I took a video of him.....It looks like Marek's he is having trouble balancing and he's not perching any more!

No respiratory just what seems like the paralysis stageI will try to post the video.

Back
Top Bottom