My roo won't accept a new hen into the flock

Tamigirl37

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
I have a little Bantam rooster who keeps picking on and chasing away my newest hen. Especially when it comes to food. She is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. We have had her for over a month now and my other hens have accepted her and she has found her place in the pecking order with them. He has picked a spot above her wing and it is irritated and red, but not bleeding. What can I put on it to help it heal and how can I keep him from bullying her.

It's hard to get into a rooster's brain but, I think if he is pulled out of the flock and kept in solitaire somewhere else for a week or so. He may forget he doesn't like that particular hen. Also the other hens may bond more strongly with her, and even defend her if HE acts up again. Put some Blue kote on the area he is pecking out, so the hens don't decide to do the same.

Banty roos seem to have "Chihuahua syndrome," they think they are BIG men about town until some hen pecks some sense into them. Good luck with bad boy.

It's hard to get into a rooster's brain but, I think if he is pulled out of the flock and kept in solitaire somewhere else for a week or so. He may forget he doesn't like that particular hen. Also the other hens may bond more strongly with her, and even defend her if HE acts up again. Put some Blue kote on the area he is pecking out, so the hens don't decide to do the same.

Banty roos seem to have "Chihuahua syndrome," they think they are BIG men about town until some hen pecks some sense into them. Good luck with bad boy.

Thank you for your help. Yes he does have the "Little Man Syndrome" I will try putting him in solitaire to see if that helps. I know he won't like it though.Lol Is Blue kote safe to put on chickens? My uncle told me to use Scarlet Oil. Reading up on it it says not to use on any animal that might be used for food. I was wondering if the Blue Kote was the same.

Back
Top Bottom