My rooster attacked me

This bothers me on a bunch of levels. You are putting yourself and your children at risk because you don't understand chicken law. Chicken law is simple. Either the rooster is boss or you are boss. The way he proves he is boss is by attacking you and if you run, he is boss. My 5 year old son came in from the yard crying and shaking because a young rooster had flogged him. He had several scrapes and scratches on his arms and head. I took him back outside and the rooster promptly ran at him to flog him again. I drop kicked the rooster 40 feet across the yard, then told my son to run over and kick him as many times as he could while the rooster was still stunned. He kicked the rooster 5 or 6 times before the rooster managed to get up and run away. The next 3 times my son went outside to play, I told him to make a point of running at the rooster and trying to kick him. The rooster ran away because my son was practicing chicken law. My son was dominant and the rooster knew it. This happens regularly with chickens. A young rooster attacked me a few years ago. I got a 5 gallon bucket and whacked the rooster with it three times until he ran and hid. He never did it again because I made a point of showing him I was boss.

To answer another of your questions, chickens recognize people by patterns. If you are blue on the bottom and gray on top, they know you as blue/gray. Change to a red shirt and now you are blue/red and they don't recognize you. After several months of wearing different clothes, they eventually get used to the idea that your colors change but it is still you. But in this case, the problem is not that you changed clothes, it is that you don't understand chicken law.

Please note, a lot of people have trouble with this because they want to think of a chicken like a dog or a cat. Chickens are NOT dogs or cats. They instinctively understand dominance and they will always try to prove they are dominant. It is up to you to understand that the only way to protect yourself and your children is to prove to the rooster that YOU are dominant.

This reminds me of a woman who had to carry a broom any time she went out in her own yard because the rooster had made her run and knew he was boss. She used the broom to fend off the rooster. If she had instead whacked the fool soup out of the rooster and then whacked him several more times until he ran, he would have understood that she was boss and never attacked her again.

You would be wise not to trust this rooster period. Anyone who's ever processed roosters will tell you the most aggressive ones have big testicles. Don't expect a rooster not to flog you just because you raised him because once they get to be breeding age and are full of testosterone they will change. Once they lose their fear of you they'll try to dominate you. That's what roosters do.The time to stop petting your rooster and start teaching him to respect and fear you is now.

Well, I have an aggressive rooster. Luckily for me, he's itty bitty and my kids are grown. I don't tolerate his attacks. I don't panic and run away. I've tried holding him down, picking him up, putting him in chicken jail, kicking him, you name it. He just sees me as a threat to his hens no matter what I do. I really believe roosters are individuals, just like hens, and some are just a**holes.

Like mine.

Total a**hole.

If he was any bigger, he would have been rehomed long ago. Good thing he's also a good boy to his ladies.

Last edited:
I don't trust cockerels. Sometimes I feel like it's human behavior that causes *some* aggressiveness but a lot of it has to do with the individual bird. I used to read so many times that the very experienced people here always suggest that people not have a cockerel or rooster in their first year of keeping chickens. I didn't understand this until seeing it for myself. Out of the rooster I had in my first year, half of them are jerks. All of the roosters I've had since are very important to my flock and genuinely good roosters. I had more confidence with birds and more experience to handle them with more confidence. I still have most of the roosters here, even the absolute jerks (because they seem to be healthiest or most resilient for some reason 🙄 ). I've tried everything I've ever read to help them overcome human aggression, with the exception of letting them attack me and not reacting in any way because some of them have ridiculously long spurs or hitting/kicking any kind of aggressive behavior towards them because I think there's a huge difference in fear vs respect. I think a respectful working relationship is important with my roosters. Nothing has changed their aggressive behavior, at all. In my opinion (and obviously there are lots of opinions out there) there are so many factors in aggressive cocks, but the main ones are the individual bird and how you act around it while it's figuring out the dynamics of the flock.

My chickens are now 5 months old (23 weeks exactly). Yesterday my rooster tried to attack me for the first time ever. Which is odd behavior because he is a good boy Lol I hold him and feed him from my hand. I’m not sure if it was because my hair was down (I rarely have it down with them bc it’s too long), my new glasses, or my jacket. I am thinking my jacket because I fed them some raisins and he was fine I put my jacket back on and tried to feed him again and he tried to attack me again. My male ducks (runner) did not like that he tried to attack me the first time and went after him when he tried to follow me inside and he tried to jump at them but got scared and ran away. 1. Is there way to make sure he does not continue this behavior?
2. I am terrified of my chickens getting gapeworm lol. I see my chickens open up their beaks like if they are yawning I’ve been watching them they occasionally do it. This morning I saw my rooster drink some water and then shake his head twice. He also does the yawning thing as well but this is the first time I saw him shake his head. Is this gapeworm? Or is this normal? I do not know what breed he is. Lol
Thank you 🐓 🦆

(Edited to say. No I don’t think he attacked me because I gave him treats. He hasn’t done it again. I thought maybe it was my jacket because it had gold maybe it was too sparkly for him. Hurt his eyes. Or maybe my super long hair freaked him out blowing in the wind because it is always in a bun. I am super super new to this. I know roosters aren’t cute and cuddly)
View attachment 3023631
He used to be a good boy lol. My profile picture shows him in my shirt cuddling with me haha.

it could be anything but super long hair blowing in the wind above chicken's heads certainly look like a threat. you must watch him anyway.

I’m glad he has not attacked again.

Just be aware, a rooster (not just yours) is unpredictable. Yours is in the throes of high hormone levels, and youth. He may become aggressive, he may not. But, if there are children involved, keep him separated bc children are at a height to get seriously injured from a rooster (eyes/face), or simply terrified, which will cause them to be negative about chickens.
Thank you! I will and no it’s just me but I am small lol

Back
Top Bottom