My rooster attacked me

I HIGHLY doubt you have gapeworm issues then. They are really only an issue in subtropical and tropical climates.
Well it is very humid here. People think Texas dry hot. But no it’s very humid and hot lol. Well not right now it’s been in the high 50s the last few days. The next few and days and from now on I believe it will be high 80s low 90s. But thank you. I will not worry so much about it then lol.

Last edited:
it could be anything but super long hair blowing in the wind above chicken's heads certainly look like a threat. you must watch him anyway.
I was sitting down with the hens and him. They usually come sit on my lap to be pet but they didn’t want to that day. Now that I am think maybe it was my hair like my roosters tail when he flares it or something. Maybe he got scared or something or maybe it is his raging hormones. Either way he hasn’t done it again. Yay I am glad lol I will definitely keep an eye on him.

Well it is very humid here. People think Texas dry hot. But no it’s very humid and hot lol. Well not right now it’s been in the high 50s the last few days. But thank you. I will not worry so much about it then lol.
I'm talking other countries. Like Asia and Africa.

It's also more common in pheasants and turkeys.

Most of rooster behavior is genetic. There are people who breed roosters to fight and some of those genes might be in your flock (not true if you have bought purebreds.) I like to interbreed my chickens, swapping out the rooster every 2 years. But I get rid of any rooster that attacks, especially sneak attacks. His sons will too. Some people will keep an aggressive bird (or dog or goat) to protect the barnyard from predators. It's up to you.

Once a cockerel displays aggression, and attacks, the likelihood that they will do it again is very high.
Agreed, if we consider 100% to be very high. I know some of you disagree with my statement about teaching a rooster to fear humans, but at that time I had 4 children under 7 years old. I had a choice to either make the rooster fear humans or never be able to let my kids play in the yard again. I chose to make the yard safe for my kids. The rooster was only bruised. He lived 5 years after that keeping the hens happy. In his later years, he was a very laid back but slightly grumpy gentleman.

My 5 year old son came in from the yard crying and shaking because a young rooster had flogged him. He had several scrapes and scratches on his arms and head. I took him back outside and the rooster promptly ran at him to flog him again. I drop kicked the rooster 40 feet across the yard, then told my son to run over and kick him as many times as he could while the rooster was still stunned. He kicked the rooster 5 or 6 times before the rooster managed to get up and run away. The next 3 times my son went outside to play, I told him to make a point of running at the rooster and trying to kick him. The rooster ran away because my son was practicing chicken law. My son was dominant and the rooster knew it. This happens regularly with chickens. A young rooster attacked me a few years ago. I got a 5 gallon bucket and whacked the rooster with it three times until he ran and hid. He never did it again because I made a point of showing him I was boss.
Hope this is an exaggeration. While I agree you need to firmly prove you're boss, I can't condone actual animal abuse.....40 feet across the yard is too much.

Back
Top Bottom