My Rooster attacks only one person

debadoo

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
We are very new to chickens. About 3 weeks ago we adopted 23 barred rocks. That includes one very interesting rooster named Spike. He's pretty gentle, eats out of our hands and wasn't showing any aggression. All of a sudden he started attacking my mom whenever she would feed them. The first time it happened she had thrown out the wrong food. She thought she threw them some corn but it was their crumble instead. After that day he seems to want to attack her when she's around. My 6 yr old daughter and I are always hanging out with the chickens (including Spike) and he's never show me or her any aggression and even seems to like hanging around us. He is afraid of my husband and my dog. Neither of them have ever hurt him or the hens. My mom shares the work with me, the cleaning and feeding so she is in the run about as much as I am. I'm just wondering what it is about her that's got him bothered. Any ideas??

The smallest things can set off a rooster....lol
She needs to nop this in the butt FAST!

If he does this, your mom needs to either:
1. Stand her ground and start walking at the rooster, until hs backs down and starts walking or running the other way....and at this time your mom should keep walking slowly at him with eye contact, until the rooster gets the hint and submits.

2. Pick the rooster up and carry him under one arm while she does the cleaning and feeding changes....Then when she is done...she can put him down (teaches him who is boss)....If however he is fighting or wiggling a lot when she trys to set him down, then she needs to lift him back up and try to set down again...so this until he is calm when setting him on the ground again.

Best Wishes,
Laura

Good advice. One of my roosters never bothered me then one day out of the blue came up behind me and started pecking at my legs. I wacked him and the next day he did it again (he wasn't gentle). I gave him another wack. He did it again the next day but even more aggressively, this time I sent his ass across the yard. I had tried to pick him up the first time he wacked me but couldn't catch him. After I sent him across the yard he never did it again. I did walk towards him and he did back off. I kept staring at him. I wasn't going to look away first. I did carry a broom the last time.

I don't think she could pick him up while doing any work he's a big guy. I'll have to post a pic tomorrow. She did have to kick him the first time he did it just to get him away. He was standing at the door of the run when it first happened and he kept attacking her over and over. She has a huge colorful bruise on the front of her leg about three inches wide and it's also a large bump. She's a small lady and 73 yrs old. I just can't figure out why he doesn't like her. Maybe it's her glasses?

We were adopted by a goose once. She came in and took over the farm yard. She hated cousin Franky. He drove a red ford truck and the first time she met him she attacked. Once she learned the sound of his truck she would come flying into the parking area as soon as she heard it and spank him all the way to the kitchen. she would hang out at the door until he came out and spank him all the way back to his truck. He even tried pulling into the yard and crawling out his truck window over the porch railing in to the front door. She waited by the front door watching him through the screen and honking. She was a lover to everyone else. Just hated Franky.

I'm not sure what color she wears everytime but I did notice she was wearing green the last time. I was wondering if her colors had something to do with it too. I think she goes out there in a pink robe in the mornings.

Definitely investigate if it is related to the colors she has on, that can set them off. I was talking to another chicken owner one time (a guy) and he all of a sudden started getting attacked by his rooster. He finally figured out it was his "chicken boots" that set off the rooster. Once he changed shoes it stopped. His chicken boots were red!

Back
Top Bottom