My rooster bit me today

I'm starting to feel lucky that my 2 roos are non-agressive types. I just assumed they were typical roos but I guess I lucked out.

I wonder if it has anything to do with being in a pen versus free-ranging? And having lots of space to run around in at the farm. Does anyone have free-ranging roosters (free-range all the time except at night) that are aggressive?

I had a Free range that was aggresive. He would climb on my dogs and pull at their ears and chase my kids in the yard and would come at you all the time. Needless to say he lives on another farm now and our Rooster now is the best we can hold him and pet him and he is great.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I had a Free range that was aggresive. He would climb on my dogs and pull at their ears and chase my kids in the yard and would come at you all the time. Needless to say he lives on another farm now and our Rooster now is the best we can hold him and pet him and he is great.

Well, there goes my theory...
sad.png

Question for anyone who wants to answer this...are the little bantams less aggressive? And can bantams mate with standard hens?
I can answer this....
Yes bantams can mate with standard hens and some are less aggressive. It just depends on their personality. I had a few bantam breed roos. One was a Millie fluer the other was a golden sebright. Those were both very nice but I had to give them away before the were 6 months so obviously their personalities could have changed. I kept the male silkie and he actually bit the back of my hand the first rime today. He will be a year old in June. His bite was so hard it made a small cut (not deep more like a scrape but small like the size of a nail head) and bruised my knuckles. I don’t think it was to be mean he thought he had to protect his 3 bantam hens. I will keep an eye on his behavior though because i won’t risk getting seriously hurt. I was just doing my usual chores and feeding when this happened. I know this is a very old thread but just in case someone else has that same question. Bantams are just small versions of standard breeds and have the same tendencies.

Back
Top Bottom