my rooster has gone mean

Roosters mate hens all year long. Like any male spring might tend to make them a bit more randy.
wink.png

Quote:
That is so funny -- my rooster hates me to wear any shoes but my yellow rain boots. If I wear sneakers, look out! I'm liable to get pecked on the ankle.

Oh, and my rooster has 13 hens, and he's still a nervous protective wreck.

I think most roos do have a bit of a hormone surge in the spring. It really is their natural "mating season" although like others said a roo is a roo all year long.

Our BO roo has suddenly become a real jerk, where he has always been gentle before. We were going to pen him, but I want fertile eggs for the incubator, so
idunno.gif
Anyway, when he starts coming towards me like he's going to be aggressive, it sounds silly, but I spread my arms wide and tell him I'M the big bird! He runs like mad, and I'll chase him a bit. It works for my 5 year old as well. He's more afraid of her than he is of me, go figure.
lol.png

Good luck. I'm in the same situation. I love my big ol' BO roo, but if he doesn't settle down, he'll make a nice Sunday dinner.
hmm.png

Em

All my roosters that have gone mean (2) have been culled. There is nothing I dislike as much as getting attacked by a rooster. I especially dislike the sneaky ones that wait until you turn your back and then run up and get you in the back of the knees!

Awhile back I had two roosters, the dominant one was really really mean and the little handsome one was very timid and I felt sorry for him. So we culled the big mean one and there was just this little handsome rooster. Well guess who turned mean...didnt take long before he got culled also.

I had a cockerel starting to get mean and pick on his brooder mates, I was woke several times in the night with him chasing and jumping on the others I put him in with the next set older and he calmed down had to put the rest of his age in with the older set to put in the 20 chicks I bought yesterday and he started to pick on the younger ones again well older roo told him NOPE!!, he protects all his lady's including the new younger ones. It stinks because The little guy is a splash roo that is my son's and the gentlroo is a mix I was planning on selling. OH well. The younger is 1 1/2 months old and the older is 2 1/2 months, and the younger has been handled a lot more then the older ones, I am working on showing dominence so hopefully he will straighten out.

Quote:
Oh great! Here I thought this was just because I had RIRs! I ordered Buff Plymouth Rocks. I like my big reds except for the roo problem. I thought Rocks were supposed to be so docile! That's the only reason I ordered them. Now it sounds like I'm gonna have the same problem. Heck.

hmm.png

Last edited:
Well I was thinking of getting a rooster, but mabe I'll just hold off. I pickup my girls on Wednesday. I'm starting off with six.

I'm so excited!!! First time having chickens.

In November we are taking a vacation and was thinking of getting a 4-H person to take care of my hens. Anyone ever done this? I think it would be great. I could bribe my sister too.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom