My rooster has run away and I can't get him back into our yard!

kclark04

Hatching
7 Years
May 2, 2012
My wife and I had just bought a 5 month old rooster. His name is Willie Nelson btw. We let him out into the fenced area of our yard so he could wander and he ended up finding a gap between the house and a fence post. He ran across the street, through the field, and into the woods. He has been out there a night already and I have no clue on how to get him back into the yard. I've tried to catch him but he is way to fast. We have a coon problem in this area as well as other predators so needless to say, im worried. He doesn't know this is home because this all happened as soon as we got him home. I don't know how to get him back here....any ideas?

Moved this from the Emergencies section (which is for health emergencies only
wink.png
). Maybe someone will have a suggestion for you on how to lure him back.

Oooh how nerve wracking! Good luck!

Maybe try a net, and wait until he goes to sleep in the evening? I have never dealt with this, hopefully someone else will know what to suggest!

You could bait a have-a-heart trap with a little corn. Set it next to the wood line where he's been staying and come back and check it in a couple of hours (I would only set the trap during the day, if you leave it at night you may have to deal your coon problem). If that doesn't work, the net is a good idea. Go and find him just before dark. Watch to see where he's been roosting, then come back and snatch him in the dark. When you catch him, keep him locked up for a few days. Good luck!

If you know where he is and he is safe just wait till the sun goes down he will be roosting somewhere or laying on the ground and you can just scoop him up as you would a house cat. I had a rooster who would go visit the neighboors once and awhile, if you can wait till the sun goes down it will be very simple to pick him up. I always treat or examine etc... all my chicken once the sun goes down they are completly helpless that is why we need to keep our chickens locked up at night away from predators. Good luck.

Cheers,

If you know where he is and he is safe just wait till the sun goes down he will be roosting somewhere or laying on the ground and you can just scoop him up as you would a house cat. I had a rooster who would go visit the neighboors once and awhile, if you can wait till the sun goes down it will be very simple to pick him up. I always treat or examine etc... all my chicken once the sun goes down they are completly helpless that is why we need to keep our chickens locked up at night away from predators. Good luck.

Cheers,
Agree.
This happened to me before (also with a rooster) and I just kept an eye on him until dusk and scooped him up (or down, if he finds a place to roos)

Hi! 3x on the catch him when he is asleep! We have used a net during the daytime, but that was with a roo that knew us pretty well. Good luck!

hi! I have a similar problem but, we're the rooster went to sleep I can't get near, he went into my "not so friendly neighbor" tree any suggestions?

My wife and I had just bought a 5 month old rooster. His name is Willie Nelson btw. We let him out into the fenced area of our yard so he could wander and he ended up finding a gap between the house and a fence post. He ran across the street, through the field, and into the woods. He has been out there a night already and I have no clue on how to get him back into the yard. I've tried to catch him but he is way to fast. We have a coon problem in this area as well as other predators so needless to say, im worried. He doesn't know this is home because this all happened as soon as we got him home. I don't know how to get him back here....any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom