My rooster is becoming aggressive toward me and my family

hj_frederick

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 13, 2011
I have a rooster that is becoming increasingly aggressive toward me and my family. He used to be very good natured, but within the past month or so is becoming much more protective of the coop and the area the chickens are in. Is there anything I can do to deal with the aggression. I have never owned chickens before and actually have a total of 5 roosters (they were straight run and I guess I just didn't get too lucky and got roos instead of hens) and 9 hens. The other roos are fine so far. I am not a person that can cull my chickens, they are strictly pets for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. How hard is it to get rid of an aggressive roo?

I have had to have a few 'conversations' with my rooster so, he's fine with me but will go after my 4 yr old grand-child everytime. The other day he ran dead into the kennel fence to go after grand -child walking past pen. He bonced off the fence and then started pecking sand. It was pretty funny He's heading to soup pretty Sounds like you have a few too many roos. Keep the nicest one and list the others on craigsllist someone will be interested. Good Luck

The more roosters you have the more likely they are to be aggressive.

I second craigslist, or freecycle (if you have it in your area).

You need to get rid of four extra males or your hens will be overmated. Get rid of the one who is becoming aggressive, with full disclosure to the new owner, of course. Temperament is heritable. Most of the time, if they start flogging at mating age, it's going to be the way he is. Some say you can change it, but not in my experience. I just keep the ones who are not human-aggressive and they tend to throw sons who are also easygoing. Good thing, too, when they are 9 and 14 lbs.

You have to become the top dog - the lead rooster- the shot caller.

To do this, don't let any of your roosters mate with any hens in your presence. They're taking the wee-wee out of you if you let them do this. As head rooster - they're YOUR girls.

Don't let him get to the food or treats first. Bat him out of the way. Let your girls feed first.

It's hard work and means you need to watch them pretty closely, but to avoid him becoming the next meal ( :( ) you need to make yourself the head of the coup.

They wont fear you for this, they'll respect you and he'll take his place below you.

Ive never had a rooster be aggressive towards me. Maybe because when they were younger if they showed the least little sign I would grab them up. Roosters hate to be carried around with the girls watching. I did have a drake that became aggressive and no matter what I did he wouldnt quit coming up from behind me and pecking my leg. When he drew blood he went to a new home. I told the guy who took him what he did and he was ok with it. He has alot more room in his new home as the guy has lots of acreage and he told me he hasnt had any problem with him so I guess he just needed more room to run. You definately have too many roosters. I have found that on craigslist I usually dont have trouble rehoming roosters although I usually give them away for free.

my rooster started becoming aggressive when i got new chicks , some are roosters, he started attacking me. so when he came up and started flapping his wings or acting aggressive towards me i put my arms up an act like im flapping my wings at him , an try to do the silly little chicken dance he does, with my feet. the people next door probley think i'm crazy , but so far it has been working, he puts his ruffeled feathers back down an goes about his business.
idunno.gif

I am having the same problem, my Roo has started to chase the kids and came at me the other day....I now carry a "Roo Stick" and I am not afraid to use it......If he doesn't shape up soon he will be off to Camp Freezer.

I like the idea of shooing him away from the treats and showing him who is head honcho

Back
Top Bottom