My rooster is crowing weirdly

SunflowerTheBun

Chirping
Jul 8, 2016
Victoria, Australia.
Hi there,

My rooster’s always had a really nice crow.
Recently he’s started crowing really weirdly. It’s quieter (sort of) and it seems to sort of die at the end, it never really goes anywhere and it just overall weird.
He’s got water and isn’t sick (though it sounds like he’s got a sore throat!)...he’s just a normal chook! For your information, he’s a silkie bantam rooster, about 1 year old I think.
What’s happened?
(Also should I be posting in the diseases thread? I didn’t think it was important enough but i might get more response there.)
I’d be grateful for any opinion.
- Sunny

My rooster is eight months old. During his first couple of months of crowing, he wasn't getting it quite right and would often have an echo crow at the end of his regular crowing. I'm still noticing some variations in his crowing, but as he grows older they seem to be getting more and more consistent, although if he's tired or he's crowing in response to a perceived danger, those crows are somewhat different.

My rooster is eight months old. During his first couple of months of crowing, he wasn't getting it quite right and would often have an echo crow at the end of his regular crowing. I'm still noticing some variations in his crowing, but as he grows older they seem to be getting more and more consistent, although if he's tired or he's crowing in response to a perceived danger, those crows are somewhat different.

He’s always had a good crow, and it wasn’t quite right at the start but soon he got it right. it’s just recently (like in the last week or so) it went downhill! I suppose he’s not that old yet and it might change, but I hope it goes back to normal because it was really nice.

So yesterday and today i noticed an extremely faint whistle of sorts in his breathing - does he have a cold or something? Maybe this is related to his crow. He does not look sick in the slightest, he’s acting like a completely normal chook.

Edit: His crow can hardly be considered a crow now, more of a strangled call

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom