my rooster is having problems

bcrueter

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
My first rooster,my big mack, has been starting having problems about a week ago he seems to have trouble crowing it sounds really bad and is sleeping in day. Now im finding his undercoat feathers everywhere. I don't know how old he is but I don't think he is less then a few years. He still eats and drinks, and let's all my hens know who's the man....im new to chickens and don't know what to do.....

Does he have any other symptoms? Like nasal discharge or diarrhea? Sounds like he may have a respiratory infection of some sort. You could try a round of antibiotics. If he is tired during the day, he may be getting run down. You can get general antibiotics at your local feed store. It can't hurt to give this a try.
smile.png

No he seems to fine with poop and no nasal discharge, I tried the antibiotics and he seemed to get better and then he went back down hill. I still have meds in water tho....

Roo sleeping in the daytime, other than an occasional short nap, is indicative of a very sick bird. This needs to be resolved quickly if he is going to make it through.

What is his diet?

Is his comb nice and red?

Has he lost any weight? (possible worms)

Can you post pics?

JJ

I feed his chicken scratch but he free ranges and he gets lots of bugs grass and plenty of weeds.he
does look like he has lost weight but biggest issues are day sleeping,crow and lots of lost underfeathers.his comb still looks good

He also needs some chicken feed for roosters. A flock raiser. Scratch is not enough for him.

To post pics, just go to the top blue bar where it says "Uploads". Then browse thru your pics and hit the submit button. Then "copy" the "img" address under the pic and "copy" to your post.
smile.png

His diet is not good. He needs access 24/7 to a nutritionally balanced feed. I use game bird maintenance for my birds (hens have oyster shell available 24/7 to supply the necessary additional calcium). I would also immediately add nutritional supplements to his water since he's struggling. It takes a bit of time to get these things to arrive by ordering on line so move fast if you can as he is in trouble and you may not have much time- Avia Charge 2000 is the one I use (google and it'll come up). Some folks use Rooster Booster.

While waiting for arrival of one of these, you can give him 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins daily, administered via dropper gently along his beak line, so he swallows on his own and doesn't choke. The stuff tastes like crud so follow with some kind of tasty treat, e.g. cut up blueberries. If he is adverse to handling you may be able to get a poultry vitamin supplement at the feed store that can be used in drinking water till the more well rounded Avia arrives - I use Avia every single day in their water, at light iced tea color strength and my birds really look good. You can also get some baby parrot feeding formula to help build his strength.

As noted above, check him carefully for parasites. he may need to be wormed but I am concerned about doing this if he doesn't have worms as it is yet another stressor to their systems. However, if he has a heavy worm load, it would be essential (vets can test a stool sample if you want to check first).

The difficulty crowing is likely just a symptom of overall weakness. The sleeping, loss of feathers - all indicators that he is greatly compromised. So glad you posted - thank you - please hurry to get him what he needs so he can hopefully rebuild strength in time. To help cheer him while he's feeling so dreadful, see if you can get mealworms at a feed store or somewhere. He may also enjoy black oil sunflower seeds. But definitely right away get the nutritionally complete food too. Any feed store that tells you scratch is that food should be shut down - scratch is just a treat.

JJ

Back
Top Bottom