My rooster is not mating

Ahhh... well we're getting somewhere here... I'm not a real expert on behaviour but I'm sure there are others on BYC that could work with this info...
Hens don't squat for rooster
Hens will squat for you
Rooster attempts to mate with your shoe
Rooster dances around hens
Rooster 'tid bits' with treats for hens
Rooster seems too nice to jump on any unwilling squatter

So... Hens won't submit to your rooster... (because they don't squat) and You seem to be the head of the flock? (hens squat for you)
You said you tried to encourage the hens by giving the rooster (only rooster) treats and he then offered those treats to the hens? Could you do this so like you aren't the one giving the treats to the rooster? So he is the one that finds the treats? - usually works to attract the hen and she submits and squats.... Your hens must be picky!

I wonder if theres some sort of way to change the hens behavior towards your roo? 🤔
Or if your not too fond of your roo then just swap him out for another roo if your wanting chicks? Maybe your hens will squat for a different rooster?
@OneHappyRooster (or tag someone who may know about behavior?) Do you have any suggestions as how to get this rooster to mate with the hens instead of shoes? :lol:... Hens won't squat for rooster so rooster doesn't mate with them.

Also worth trying - just stick some eggs in the incubator and see if they develop. Sometimes blastoderm IDing can be very inaccurate.
Just looking at cracked eggs to evaluate his fertility is not enough.

As @ChocolateMouse already suggested, you should incubate some of the eggs for at least one week to see if they develop.

How old are these hens? Were they adults already when he joined them as a chick?

Could well be you just aren't seeing him in action.
If nothing works, consider getting a different cockerel that will fertilize the eggs.
@aart @rosemarythyme
I think this has been pretty well covered.

As @ChocolateMouse already suggested, you should incubate some of the eggs for at least one week to see if they develop.

How old are these hens? Were they adults already when he joined them as a chick?
Ditto Dat^^

@Chicken_lady2202 any luck with the rooster treats idea?
... Surely some other people on here can offer some suggestions how to get your hens to squat for your rooster and your rooster to mate with them instead of your shoe.. humm.. @OneHappyRooster @Weeg @Eggcessive @ anyone who has any suggestions??
sadly no, the second he calls the girls they shoo him away and take it all. In return he gets aggressive. Thanks for the idea tho :)

already tried. Seriously I've tried everything. All of them were adults when they met

Back
Top Bottom