My Rooster is not walking well..

NewBostonChick

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
New Boston, NH
Hello, My Rhode Island Red Rooster who is 2 1/2 yrs old, named Frosty, seems to be failing.. He was limping and now the last few days he is not walking much.. He is eating and drinking, but just lays in the coop. I tried to examine his legs and see nothing.. He still sqwauks when I touch him, but his crow has gotten weaker than his usual crow.... I had a thought about ticks and remember a recent story of a dog having tick paralysis.. I wonder if my Roo could have tick paralysis?? Anyone have any advice? Thanks.. Jane

Hi, I am dealing with a similar problem with my 6 month old roo. He started limping on one foot (left) and now he can't stand at all (one week later.) Everything else is good, although I think he's a little light. But he eats, crows, poops. No one has answered my thread. I sure hope someone answers yours. It's so hard to see them this way. Good luck! Pam

My chicken is doing the same thing. It started with what I thought was just a right leg limp a week ago, but now a week later she's struggling with her balance and coordination in general. She can stand and walks, but it's very unstable. She nearly did the splits today ... on carpeting. She's laying eggs, eating, drinking, pooping ... everything seems normal. She's 7 months old, weighs 8 lbs, is in with two other chickens who seem fine. I'm very worried. I hope someone can help us!

With all three of your birds, I would include marek's as one of the possibilities. I have alot of reading material linked at the bottom of my posts.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help.

I have four chickens, all 7 months old. They are my first ever experience with chickens. I bought the chicks from someone advertising on Craig's list and knew nothing about vaccinating chickens. I doubt they were vaccinated.

Will my other three chickens get sick now too?
Will it make any difference if I vaccinate them now?

Thank you for your help.

I have four chickens, all 7 months old. They are my first ever experience with chickens. I bought the chicks from someone advertising on Craig's list and knew nothing about vaccinating chickens. I doubt they were vaccinated.

Will my other three chickens get sick now too?
Will it make any difference if I vaccinate them now?

Windybess, if your chickens are 7 months old and you bought them together as chicks, and had no problem til now, I doubt it's Marek's. I would try vitamins now. Make sure there are B's in them. It could be a vitamin deficiency. I'm suprised she's laying eggs. Usually sick chickens don't lay.

Ok, I've put vitamin powder (Vi-tal by IDEAL Animal Health) in all of their water. I'll just do that routinely now. If there's something better, let me know and I'll order it online. I'm a bit limited in Minooka. I'll put Rigby, the affected chicken, in a nice big quiet dog carrier and let her relax for a few days and see what happens. I'll also read that article from 1873 again and see what else may make her more comfortable. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

Bess, that 1873 article is historical, not for fact. I think she thinks that cake cures every chicken ailment. I'm sure your Rigby is very comfortable!

Last edited:
Twee Tea, that's a good reply. I agree that you should assume that every chicken has it. Marek's has so many symptoms aside from what's written, it's so hard to determine if its Marek's or not. A good flock history can help as well.

I've also had 2 adults about 2 years old die from it. Unusual, but it does happen. And they both lost the use of their legs, opaque eye, wasting, loss of wing function and neck function. And they both did the one leg forward one leg back. These are classic symptoms, there are many more symptoms that they can have.

Back
Top Bottom