My rooster is starting to become aggressive.

hollycs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Dallas Texas
I am new to the chicken world. I have 5 Buff Orpingtons. 4 hens and one rooster who until the last couple of days has been very sweet and docile. They are 20 weeks old and just recently when we open the coop up in the mornings he immediately jumps out and shows aggressive behavior. He pecks at our pant legs and yesterday he bit my hand. I desperately want to keep him. He is a beautiful bird, but I have 2 children and I don't want them to be afraid to be in their own back yard. He doesn't attack or chase anyone at this point, but I want to nip it in the bud before that happens. Any advice?

I've had a couple of roosters, key word: Had. But that is a whole other story in itself. But what you can do, is you have to show the rooster who's boss. When he starts his antics towards you, pin him to the ground and hold him there a bit, then pick him up and tuck him under your arm like a football with his head facing to the rear. Then just walk around with him for a while. What you are trying to do, is show him you are dominant, and there isn't anything he can do about it. After you do this a few times, he may get wise to that maneuver. (Mine did). So what you do then, is walk him back, when he starts his B/S. You just walk right at him, and make him back up. And keep walking at him as long as he faces you, he'll be chuckling and griping, but keep walking at him, until he actually turns away from you. That shows he submits.
But even after you get his respect, DON'T ever fully trust him. Keep your eye on him when he is around you and your kids. My rooster would run up behind me when I was out in the yard. I could hear his little feet running, I would turn around and he would stop. If I didn't turn around he probably would have jumped me. My wife and I pretty much had him under control, but my daughter was scared of him. and he seemed to know it. He was a GLW, and a real pretty bird. But he had to go. A rooster can really hurt somebody, especially little kids. If you can't settle him down, You may have to get rid of him. There are easy going roosters out there, if you really want one. But your flock doesn't really need one.
Jack

I agree 100% with Jack's advice. You have to show him who is boss and the best way to do that is to chase him down and catch him when he makes a move towards you. Then carry him around for a while. Do this several times. I still do it every now and then just to remind my roo who is boss. That said, I never turn my back on him and I don't allow my children in the coop. He will challenge any person that comes in the coop and a child isn't capable (or willing!) to chase him down and catch him like my husband and I do.

Edited to add: in my avatar pic I am holding Floyd the rooster to show him who is boss!

Last edited:
you don't say how old your children are, but if they are not older than 10, I would get rid of the rooster!
Yep. Fact is, he's already attacked you, by pecking/biting. Since you've allowed this, he now thinks he's boss of you and it's going to be hard to correct, especially if you're not a naturally dominant person or comfortable disciplining animals. If your children are littles, that roo should go.

My children are 8 and 12. He does back down when I stomp at him etc. but the second I turn my back he runs toward me. Like I said he just started doing this. I have made it a point to hold him every day since he was hatched and most of the time he will just allow me to hold him and pet him. I have noticed that this behavior is happening in conjunction with him trying to jump my girls. At this point they aren't letting him but, do you think that maybe the aggresive behavior will stop after he gets some so to say. I don't have any problem showing him who's boss, but we let the chicken free range and I don't want to have to constantly watch my back in my own back yard. I have found that keeping a squirt bottle near by seems to work. He takes off running everytime we squirt him.I realize that I don't "need" a rooster, but we wanted to hatch new chicks and really wanted to let mother nature take her course as opposed to incubating fertilized eggs. I guess I will give it a couple of weeks and see if he cools his jets. I hope so because my little guy will heartbroken if we have to give him the boot :(

A lot depends on your kids. Are they nearly adult size? Are they brave, aggressive and outgoing, can they be tough with animals? We as a society, spend so much time teaching children to be nice to animals, that they often do not think to defend themselves as they are being attacked. And telling a kid not to be scared, when something is flying at them, is a waste of time. If you are uncomfortable with him in your backyard, get rid of him. A bad roo, can ruin this whole experience.

Often times, a pet rooster is the worst rooster. It goes against the common notion that if animals learn to trust humans, they will be gentle themselves. However, what happens to roosters, is that they loose their fear and respect of humans, and then begin to attack to show dominance. Generally, I do not make pets of roos. I frequently give them a little chase when they are growing up. Make them back up and get out of my way. I think you get better roo's that way.

That being said, right now, I have a questionable roo. I really don't trust him. He is just short of a year old, and I would like to keep him through the summer, because I do free range on the wide open prairie and I do not have as many losses due to predators, with a good roo. But he is just a shade more aggressive than I would like. If I had children, I would not keep him at all. I do have grandchildren visit, and while I have warned everyone that he is not to be trusted...... A bad roo can ruin it for children, and chickens are such a great hobby.

I am hoping to keep him through the summer...... but he may not get that long. Roos are a crap shoot, and can turn on people in a heartbeat, and often do.

To be honest, you have had your warning. If he attacks again, it is because you were not responsible enough to do something about it.

Mrs K

Holly- I don't think it is likely that he will calm down once he gets those hens to stand still for him. The attempted matings and the aggressiveness are part of the same thing- his hormone levels rising as he enters sexual maturity.

I think we're about to get rid of our rooster. He challenged me yesterday and it was much harder than usual to get him to back down. Plus, I'm tired of my kids not being able to enter the coop.

i have the same problem,just moved my rooster(black cochin) to a farm on his own,he was getting so vicious,attacking with talons buried in my 13 yr old daughters legs!! he was reared from a chich with loadsa love,my daughters chick,he is 1 yr old,started turning bad few months ago,we have tried being nice,holding him down,chasing and trying to scare him,giving him respect and not getting between him and hens but all failed,he is worse!! we moved him far from hens and alone yesterday and he is sad but passive/quiet!! i really want to show him in july but think on his own is too sad,fabulous bird and want to keep him but not watching over my shoulder all the time,how can i keep him happy and alone?

Well, thank goodness my Rooster has seemed to chill out
smile.png
He still sometimes puffs up at us, but he has not tried to attack anyone again. So he gets to stick around for now which makes all of us happy.

Back
Top Bottom