My Rooster is tearing up one of my hens

cahoon18

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
My light brahma rooster is tearing up one of my hens. She seems to be his favorite and does his "business" with her way more then the others. He cut her pretty bad the other day and we had to keep her separated while she healed. Me and my husband don't want to get rid of the rooster. For a rooster he is really docile, he isn't aggressive towards me or my husband. We want to be able to keep him but cant have him tearing up the hens. Would it help if we kept him separated from the hens and only let him be around them when we let them out in our yard, which is only a few times a week?

You could try putting a 'hen saddle' on the hen, trimming the rooster's spurs and toenails, and separating him from the flock.

Another question I have is how to treat her wound. He cut her under her wing and it looks pretty bad. What should I clean it with?

Any antibiotic ointment without the 'caine' topically applied to the wound will aid in healing. Healing will take a while, but chickens generally have great healing powers from such wounds.

Back
Top Bottom