My rooster just started mating with the hens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TammyF, Aug 6, 2014.

1. TammyF

TammyF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Is this a sign they are ready to start laying?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s a good sign, but no, it is not necessarily a sign that they are ready to lay. I’m assuming they are adolescents.

The mating act is not just about sex. It is also about dominance, especially when the hormones kick in with young cockerels. The one on top dominates the one on bottom, whether that is willingly or through force. The cockerel’s hormones are telling it to dominate the flock so it can be flock master.

Normally the cockerels mature earlier than the pullets. The pullets’ hormones don’t necessarily kick in until they are ready to lay. Until then they are more likely to resist the advances of the cockerel and try to run away rather than submit. The cockerel also needs to impress them that he is a worth mate before some of them submit. Adolescent cockerels may have trouble impressing them.

If the pullets are willingly submitting to the cockerel it is even more of a strong sign that they are getting ready to lay. It’s still not a guarantee, some will submit to a cockerel at a very young age. I’ve had a 13 week old pullet submit to a 13 week old cockerel and she did not lay for another two months.

It is a sign that they are maturing so I’d get the nests open and ready for them, but you may still have a wait. Good luck with it.

3. TammyF

TammyF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Ok, thank you so much for the info and your time. Have a great day!!!!

4. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    i agree with above..this is first yr with chickens in last 4 yrs....this varied bred flock of 5 different breds matured very quick..roosters crowing at 11 weeks and mating at 12 and then i butchered 6 roos at 16 weeks.left one BA and one favouralle..this ba unlike the others is just a good husband...anyway i just got my first egg this morning.. i have noticed a change in bahaviours since last week the chickens stay more by the coop and they walk and run just a littke different as there pelvic seperates.and mine were born march 19th... i dont know which hen layed...9 of the 14 have gotton very red combs the last 2 weeks...i dont even hae my nesting boxes in yet so i have to do that tonight...i did not hear the chicken song as could have been early..hope that helps a little..jeff

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by