My Rooster Just Tried to Attack Me

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i have a large Columbian Showgirl Rooster that has been friendly with me up to this point. He's gone after my husband and tries to attack anyone other than me walking past his pen. He did attack my leg once when i was wearing a dress, but i thought it was just because it was new and scary.

Just now i went into his pen, which he shares with two hens, and he went after me. i had to kick him back six times to get out of the pen. i did go back in and he looked menacing, but i managed to snag his tail then pick him up and hold him for a while. But i'm wondering if this is now going to be an ongoing thing with him. i can't keep a rooster who i'm having to fight off all the time. i wonder if i should just rehome him. i know my husband would be happy.

unless you want to have chicks-the best place for an aggressive rooster is the diningroom table
tongue.png
Had one that drew blood from my legs-he dressed out at 15 pounds. No he wasn't a turkey just one big mean son of a gun.

Cure for a mean rooster;

Read about this recently and the poster says it works. This is advice from a 72 YO farmer who seems to know what he`s talking about. If it doesn`t work for you just say so. I hate to pass along bad advice. Prior to this info, I figured the only cure was an ax. Maybe there is hope after all….

Hold the offending rooster by the legs and dip his head in a bucket of water. When you see a few bubbles, put him on the ground and let him alone. His attitude should now be a lot different. Sometimes they need a second lesson, but not often........Pop

i'm wondering if he's in a bad mood because the head hen has been beating him up all morning. i just pulled him out and into a cage by himself and he's making a nest for himself and clucking like he's going to lay an egg.

Pop, if he goes after me again he will get to try the water bucket ride.

The first time one of my two roosters came at me was the last time. I caught him mid air and that was that. A few days later, the second rooster, who was now in charge, felt like a tough guy. Same thing.
Because I've seen roosters that were protective of the flock, yet recognized that I was ultimately in charge, I won't put up with any nonsense from the aggressive ones.

Oooooooh, is that what he's doing. Because i have seen my other roosters do that, get in a nest box and softly cluck. i guess they're going "Here chickee, chickee, chickee (so i can pounce on you)".
tongue.png

Well, now that he's all by himself he's being very nice to me.

This is the third or fourth thread about roosters attacking in the last two days. Forgive me for asking but why does everyone get roos if they don't want to deal with what they do best....protecting their flock? It's just instinctual.
idunno.gif
We have a roo that has been on the attack before. He used to go after everyone but me. Well I have taught my kids to respect animals and to stay away from him when they can. If it can't be helped all they need to do is walk by him with a broom and he knows they mean business. They've never had to hit him at all just show it to him. He now has started coming after me but I will grab him when he is attempting to flog and hold him until he calms down. He knows I am the boss and he now respects that.
smile.png
Roos' go after people or whatever to let them know he is protecting his girls. It's just what they do.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
When you buy chicks from hatcheries, you get a lot of roos if you order straight run. If you order all female, you can still get a few roos. Buying from the feed store, that's gambling. And people who want to breed chickens will need a roo, obviously.

I think just about everyone has ended up with at least one surprise roo. Most people don't intentionally buy a rooster, unless they want to breed, I'd think.

Roosters happen.

Back
Top Bottom