My rooster killed by a fox

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by eliseswart, Mar 17, 2015.

1. eliseswart

eliseswart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    France
    Oh, I'm so sad, my gorgeous Mr Big was killed by a fox Sunday afternoon together with my oldest hen. He was not dead yet, so I had to kill him to end his suffering, which was even worse.
    He was the sweetest rooster and so beautiful. I'm afraid that is the price of freedom, since my chickens can walk wherever they want. But even chickens well locked in their coops during the day are killed, my neighbours tell me. That's life in the French country.

I just finished a drawing of him:

[​IMG]

2. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    [​IMG] That's so sad [​IMG]
    He looks like a go roo.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm so sorry you lost your roo, and hen too. A good rooster is truly a blessing.

4. eliseswart

eliseswart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    France
    Thanks everybody. I wanted to hatch his eggs immediately, but I came to my senses: I have enough chickens as it is. And I have three 3 weeks old chicks (probably female) with Mr Big as father.
    But he is missed, this wonderful bird.

Sunday they're going to hunt down the fox. I feel sorry for her, she cannot help it, she has a family to take care of. But why not take the oldest rooster? And kill it instantly. Useless questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by