My rooster likes to crow at my back door...

Ashemichelle

In the Brooder
May 26, 2023
Windsor, PA
Is he likely trying to establish dominance between us and him? Or is it more likely that it's the highest reachable spot in our yard so he's just warning potential predators? I don't consider it a problem, I'm just trying to learn more about why he does what he does for my own understanding based on the experiences of others. Thank you!

Is he likely trying to establish dominance between us and him? Or is it more likely that it's the highest reachable spot in our yard so he's just warning potential predators? I don't consider it a problem, I'm just trying to learn more about why he does what he does for my own understanding based on the experiences of others. Thank you!
I find my roosters to be way more complex than my hens. I have a rooster that gets on the deck box to crow when he wants my attention. This is one of the best articles I have ever read to understand roosters. Written by @Shadrach

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

My rooster seems to crow for one of three reasons:
1. When something is different (like a new person is around or he hears an unfamiliar sound),
2. When he thinks something should happen (e.g. it's time for treats, or a hen is being unresponsive to his suggestions)
3. For no apparent reason at all 😆

I think it was Shadrach who once mentioned something to the effect that chickens pick up imperceptible vibrations from the ground and it travels up their legs, signaling them to crow. They are interesting creatures, for sure!

Back
Top Bottom