My rooster runs sideways!

Krystal1983

Chirping
Apr 10, 2021
Is my rooster trying to act big and scary or something? Lol Sometimes he will run sideways towards me like he thinks he is gonna scare me. But I just say to him "What do you think your doing?" And usually laugh a little and if I act like I am gonna pick him up he runs off. Anyone else have rooster/roosters who do this?

How old is he? It sounds like his herding/ courting behavior. Does he drop a wing while running as tell? He’s trying to be the boss and walking towards him will let him know you’re
He is about 15 weeks old. I will try and pay attention to the wing. I think he does lower one side of his body when he does but I never act intimidated. In fact I usually step toward him to let him know he doesn't scare me. Just in case he is trying to "be the boss" so to speak.

15 weeks is about when their hormones starts to get crazy. Don’t let him herd/ court you and don’t back down. Keep doing what you’re doing.
I’ve only had one rooster try this with me. It took some training to get him to behave with everyone but me. He quickly figured out I wouldn’t back down from him. Once he got who was boss though it only took a reminder hug to set him straight.

He is about 15 weeks old. I will try and pay attention to the wing. I think he does lower one side of his body when he does but I never act intimidated. In fact I usually step toward him to let him know he doesn't scare me. Just in case he is trying to "be the boss" so to speak.
He IS dropping the wing on the opposite side of his body facing me when he runs towards me. I've been watching closely.

15 weeks is about when their hormones starts to get crazy. Don’t let him herd/ court you and don’t back down. Keep doing what you’re doing.
I’ve only had one rooster try this with me. It took some training to get him to behave with everyone but me. He quickly figured out I wouldn’t back down from him. Once he got who was boss though it only took a reminder hug to set him straight.
Ok. Thanks for the support! 🥰

He IS dropping the wing on the opposite side of his body facing me when he runs towards me. I've been watching closely.
That’s his courting/ herding behavior then. He’ll do it with the hens when he wants to mate or to get them to go a certain direction. Walking into him when he does this usually lets him know you won’t be pushed around.

Back
Top Bottom