My rooster silkie have a hole size of a penny on the back. I need HELP!

Ktine08

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
My silkie rooster survive the dogs attack but he have a hole on the back size of a penny. At first I can see the inside but now it’s black color around it and I’m not sure what it is… i cleaned him up when we found him. Spray hydrogen peroxide and veterycin then put neospirin on it wrap it with adhesive bandage to keep from the flies. He is in our garage right now in a dog kennel. He is eating and drinking. He looks ok and doing what a rooster does. I gave him electrolytes but one websites say that I can’t give him electrolytes 3 consecutive days. Is that true? He is eating mealworms, scratch grains, sunflower sees and pellets. I’m also giving him some greens and bread. Today I brought him outside and it seems he is more active than inside. I went to tractor supply to see if I can find something to give him like antibiotics but I can’t find any. Please let me know if I’m doing everything right and what else I can do to make him feel better. Thanks in advance guys….

Attachments

• 6465C491-37F7-4C7D-9863-1839A74D0375.jpeg
    6465C491-37F7-4C7D-9863-1839A74D0375.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 6
Hi there, sorry about your rooster.
You are doing everything right, he likely won't need the antibiotics but it's good to have them.
He doesn't need electrolytes more than 3 days, electrolytes are salts, chickens don't do well with extra salt.
I assume what he's eating is just because he's under the weather, otherwise the mealworms, scratch grains, sunflower seeds and bread is far, far too much fat and carbs (especially the mealworms and Sunflower seeds) only to be used as minimal treats one or twice a week. and the pellets are not laying pellets? Just to be sure. He can have yogurt, tuna, scrambled eggs, as some extra protein if he needs it.

Spray hydrogen peroxide and veterycin then put neospirin on it wrap it with adhesive bandage to keep from the flies. He is in our garage right now in a dog kennel. He is eating and drinking. He looks ok and doing what a rooster does. I gave him electrolytes but one websites say that I can’t give him electrolytes 3 consecutive days. Is that true? He is eating mealworms, scratch grains, sunflower sees and pellets.
I'd trim the feathers away from the wound, it will make it easier to apply your ointment.
Hydrogen Peroxide is fine for the initial cleaning, but skip that going forward. If the wound gets soiled, then just use the Vetericyn to spray it/clean it. Triple antibitoic ointment on the wound is fine. Leave it unwrapped unless he's picking at it.

I'd focus on him eating his normal feed. The other items make for a nice treat here and there. Do provide grit free choice.

Electrolytes are short term to get a bird through dehydration and shock. After 3 days, he shouldn't need them. Plain water is fine.

Hi there, sorry about your rooster.
You are doing everything right, he likely won't need the antibiotics but it's good to have them.
He doesn't need electrolytes more than 3 days, electrolytes are salts, chickens don't do well with extra salt.
I assume what he's eating is just because he's under the weather, otherwise the mealworms, scratch grains, sunflower seeds and bread is far, far too much fat and carbs (especially the mealworms and Sunflower seeds) only to be used as minimal treats one or twice a week. and the pellets are not laying pellets? Just to be sure. He can have yogurt, tuna, scrambled eggs, as some extra protein if he needs it.
No, it’s not the laying pellets. I’ll try the other protein choice. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom