My rooster snapped ..... WARNING : GRAPHIC CONTENT

You did the right thing. He may have been beautiful, but your safety, other peoples' safety, and your peace of mind are even more beautiful. There are good roosters out there who would be happy to take his old spot.

I have my first flock and first rooster, and mine is a gem. He guards his girls, is sweet to me, and is a real character. I do have one hen who keeps him in line. They had an argument several days ago when she found him in her nesting box, and that ended with her in the box after I went out to see what all the commotion was and he skedaddled. She won't take his guff. Maybe you need an ornery hen??

If you don't agree with culling an aggressive rooster, or firearms for that matter, that's fine, please do not read any further. Please no comments on what I should have done.

I'm not looking for your approval or anything, just relaying a tragic turn of events that happened to me within a just a minute or two. I pray that this does not happen to anyone else, as it was NOT a satisfying experience, but one that had to be done immediately.

I had to shoot my rooster this afternoon.

Within a matter of seconds, he snuck up on me, flogged me twice, and put a significant wound on my calf, then turned on my neighbor and his wife, attacking him, and chasing his wife around the truck, before she jumped in the front seat. He continued flogging the TRUCK, then went after one of my dogs who luckily saw it coming, and fled through the doggie door, and into the house.

I gave him das boot to gain some time, and an escape rout to the house, when he started back at me, while the neighbor jumped back in the truck.

I went in and grabbed my home defense sporting rifle from the bedroom, as my scattergun was in the safe, and went back out on the porch, bleeding, and FURIOUS about the attack, and without hesitation, rained hellfire down upon that SOBing rooster, who was still all hackled up, coming right at me for round 2.

Overkill ? Absolutely.

Remorse ? Yeah, a little bit. He was a such a good caretaker of the flock, and only gave my boots the occasional peck when I gathered eggs ..... Until today ! I don't know why he suddenly became so aggressive, he was fine this morning, eating scratch and sunflower seeds from my hand. Luckily, all the girls were out back, and didn't witness the deed, or aftermath.

In my book, this was TOTALLY unacceptable behavior, and came out of the blue for no apparent reason. We were in the middle of the driveway, and he sought us out for the attack. There are children here at times, not to mention the dogs eyes right at spur level.

If anyone that has read this far, has ever seen a normally passive rooster become a raging maniac in the blink of an eye, please share your experience. I'm at a loss.
Is it possible he could have contracted rabies? Can chickens get rabies??? Something was going on. Maybe he got into some jimson weed or mushrooms, poison or other substances.

Is it possible he could have contracted rabies? Can chickens get rabies??? Something was going on. Maybe he got into some jimson weed or mushrooms, poison or other substances.

I guess it's possible, but I think he just got a taste for chicken over the past couple of weeks. He kept looking at me, then at the fleeing birds, licking his foxy chops, as if weighing the chances that he could grab one, and split !

But since you mentioned mushrooms, I might do a little foraging expedition ..... :D

I was given a Rhode Island Red Rooster by a man at the Goat and Chicken Sale. I took him home and put him with my girls, he was fine for about a week. I went out to feed the chickens, next thing I knew I was on the ground, spilling the feed. He came at me again, I hit him with a 1x4 and he was on his side. I went to change uniforms and when I came out he was gone from where I left him, halfway to my car he came at me again and I had to fight him off with a folding chair. I got home to find out he had chase my daughter into the house, so I pinned him up and took him to the feed and seed where my ex-wife worked a man came in and ask about the rooster, I told him what happened and he laughed and said he would take him that he was just a chicken. I was at the feed and seed a couple of weeks later when that same man came in with a large cut on his head, I ask what had happened and he informed me he killed that d**n rooster.

Ah crap. Now I gotta worry about rabies too? It seems like every day there's a new disease to worry about with these birds.
I don't worry too much except if I am treating something that a fox, raccoon or a skunk might have attacked.

@svh, sorry about your rooster. :hugs Not sure what caused the sudden change. Peacocks often do this at he start of breeding season, so maybe something similar?

Back
Top Bottom