My Rooster Went Missing for 2 Full Days...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Barneysmomma, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Barneysmomma

Barneysmomma New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    then returned. I let him and his 6 girls out of the coop to roam on a Friday morning. Two hours later, I went out to check on them and he was gone. Vanished. On Sunday, 3 days later, I was still grieving his loss when I heard his crow. I ran outside and low and behold, there he was. Crowing outside the coop to the rest of the girls who were inside the coop. I was so happy I actually cried tears of joy. It's a complete total mystery. Is this normal? Will he leave again? Is it possible he was taken and actually found his way back home? Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I guess only the rooster knows the answer to that and he's not talking. He may have been chicken napped and got himself free, or maybe a predator was after him and he escaped and was hiding somewhere till it seemed safe. That frequently happens with chickens. They lay low until they thing the coast is clear. Does he seem to be okay? No wounds or feathers pulled out.
    I'm glad he came back also.

3. Barneysmomma

Barneysmomma New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    Oh my goodness. Thank you for your reply.

He was outside along with the 6 hens. No feathers anywhere. No obvious scars or wounds. His behavior was no different either. We do have 3 very large hay stacks that are covered with tarps. I thought he may have hid in there (post return) but then thought, wouldn't he still have crowed? Would he have hidden for 2 solid days too?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I have no idea, but I'm glad to hear he came back!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

This morning Speed and Roo roo were both missing, something had gotten after them during the night and my wife cried, until they came back late morning.
    The thing is they are never gone anywhere and we were sure they were dead.
    Most likely you have a predator around you need to watch out for.
    Anyways.
    Welcome and enjoy.
    [​IMG]Steve.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by