My rooster

ShawnaLeigh

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I have a rooster that is about 6-7 months old and hasn’t made a sound, doesn’t crow or even talk to other chickens. He is mounting the hens though. Has anyone ever had one that was silent?

What breed? Is he your only rooster? If there are more, the second string will likely be less vocal.

Has he ever heard another rooster crow? That might get his attention. If you wanted to encourage him... show him some uTube.

It’s strange though that he’s not talking to the hens. I have one that’s CONSTANTLY chitchatting, particularly with his girlfriend.

Albert Einstein didn’t talk until he was three, and then it was in full compound sentences. Maybe you just have a genius on your hands! 😎

Competition encourages more crowing, so by himself, he's just not as motivated. He's a late bloomer, not a bad thing.
I have multiple cockerels and adults, and they spend time having crowing contests.
Mary

He is not my first rooster. I had 5 at one time and they drove me and my hens crazy. They were constantly crowing and fighting and mounting the hens but I ended up finding homes for them but this one is a hatchling of one of them. My very first rooster I ever had I got from a hatchery with other chicks and he started making sounds at a very early age and started crowing by himself without hearing another rooster and talking to them so that is why I was curious. This rooster is a RIR and the hens allow him to mount them but they give him hell afterwards. They chase him and attack him all the time. Just weird stuff.

That is just odd, I have had roosters that crowed just a couple of times a day to ones that just never gave it up. I have had chick cockerels, and like you, they were vocal early. It is just odd.

That is just odd, I have had roosters that crowed just a couple of times a day to ones that just never gave it up. I have had chick cockerels, and like you, they were vocal early. It is just odd.
There are other chickens down the road from us but I never hear a rooster but there could be one. I just think he has no voice box or something. He sticks with just the five chicks that were hatched that month that I put together in a “holding coop” next to main coop until they were big enough to fend for themselves like I do all chicks before I merge them. He has been the strangest by far.

Back
Top Bottom