My rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by autumn11, Jun 9, 2011.

1. autumn11

autumn11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    I nead to know the best way to get my rooster to stop crowing

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    He's a rooster. Crowing is what they do. If you need to keep him quiet at night/ early in the morning, then you can bring him inside and put him in a kennel covered with blackout shades. Other than that, [​IMG]

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I think you may know the answer. The only way you wont hear him anymore is either have him for dinner or give him away,sorry to say. Last year I got my chicks and ended up with 4 White Rock roosters. Noisy,mean,stupid eating machines. I had the runt pass away and gave two to a rooster orphanage($10 donation for each) and kept one. I wanted to process the ones I gave away for all the food they consumed but was out-voted. The one I kept is a little noisy but he lets you know when something is amiss outside.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Roosters crow - that's what they do. Rehome him (he'll still crow, but you won't hear it) or eat him. Even if you take him in at night and keep him in total darkness - roosters don't just crow in the early morning hours. When he's back outside he'll still crow.

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:From many years around chickens, this seems like an impossible task. To get rid of the crowing, you'll have to get rid of the rooster. If it's a problem of him crowing too early in the morning, you could probably solve that by putting him somewhere where he won't see any sun or lights, but once he gets back into daylight, there will definitely be some amount of crowing.

6. autumn11

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    I will tyr puting him ina dog cage and cover it with black fabrick will that work ?[​IMG]

7. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:it'll work as long as you keep him in the covered cage.
    unless he hears something, then he'll still crow. try a sound-proof, light proof cage.
    no, seriously...
    he's gonna crow. that's his job. you may as well be asking "how can i keep my tornado from blowing things around?" you can't.
    is he bothering the neighbors, or is the crowing just bugging you? regardless, the only way to shut a rooster up is to slow cook him in a crock-pot for several hours.
    good luck.

8. autumn11

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    He does bother my neighbors and I won't get rid of him but my neighbors don't won't to here him at all but I am not going to wory about the day just the night what if I put a ruler hand on his beak will it work:confused:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by