My Roosters are Purring

LunarAngel

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 9, 2007
Far Beyond this World
I've got 26 chickens... 1 Japanese bantam roo and 2 Partridge rock roos.
Now, one of the Partridge Roos, named Rocky, has started a new thing. He purrs!

I'll be sitting on the porch step. Right next to our porch is a little weeded area, where the chickens seldom go. He likes to go up in there and start a little clicking/purring noise. He sounds like a little car!

Is this a dominance thing? Whenever he does it, I do it back and after a moment he walks away and stops. Maybe I'm just freaking him out?

He only does it in THAT spot... so maybe it's cause he thinks it's a good place to lay eggs or something? But I don't think rooster's care that much about what happens to the eggs. And I'm having a HARD time keeping those roo's off the pullets! I have to go over there and knock Rocky or Shogun off a female every other minute! Course, then they run, but still!

Can anyone help me with my purring rooster? And info would help!

Thanks!

i don't know. i like to listen to the differnet language of my animals and wild animals, though, too. interesting that he always does it at the same place.

Nothing to worry about really, my roos try to sound like baby chicks, and one of them tries to bark. If they are around hens its more of a protection/showoff. other than that i would say it depends on their personality. I just laugh there nothing to worry about. About the roos on the pullets... thats natural mine do the same thing. just gotta show em whos boss.
wink.png

It's normal. It's a sign that it is a good place to be. They often do that in nest boxes to show hens that it is a good place to deposit eggs. Or they do that when they just feel good. Not to worry. Dominance would be stomping around your feet and challenging you.

One of my little cockerels purred to me last weekend, But I think he was a little messed up in the head at the time. I found him upside down, stuck between the barn and the horse trough. I had to pick him up carefully by the feet and when I did that and held in my arms for a few minutes, he purred softly to me till I put him down. Then he walked around like he was drunk for few minutes. I went and picked him up again and took him in the coop next to the water and food. He was just fine in a few minutes.

I was wondering. This morning I was in the little chicks coop and the roo was taking a dust bath, with his eyes closed and I couldn't make out who was making the purring noise until all the girls started chasing food and he was the only one. It was too cute!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom